Index Thread Archive Feb-2000 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Feb-2000Index by Author for Feb-2000Index by Date for Feb-2000   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: <no subject>
Author: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: 23-Feb-2000 12:38:42
At 11:37 AM 2/23/2000 -0500, Natan Huffman wrote:
>Kevin,
>
>I noticed in your post you stack a C51XR/C31XR and C3E. For practical
>purposes, the C31XR and C51XR are identical, but the C3E is not. Did you
>make any adjustments (such as length of coax to compensate for phase
>differences) or just "brute forced" the feeding of the C3E. Stacking non
>identical antennas can be challenging! Or, perhaps the C3E is not part of
>the XR stack.
>
>We are often asked about this type of scenario but just have not had the
>time to do a good analysis and develop a recommendation.

There was a post within the last couple of months on Towertalk about this.
If I remember the particulars correctly, this person had stacked one of
your multiband antennas with the closed sleeve feed system, with a straight
yagi with split dipole feed, and used NEC-2 and lots of trial and error to
calculate the phase shift that was required to achieve pattern addition.
The number was striking, I remember -- ~ 160 degrees. He said it then
worked roughly as predicted.

From some other things I've read, I'm now wondering if this analysis was
good or not, since NEC-2 reportedly has trouble with modeling this type of
feed. Nonetheless, a thought.

73, Pete N4ZR

Don't forget to update your entry in the World Contest Station Database
http://206.102.70.3/search.htm

02-Jan-2001 Sain'T Tom
17-Dec-2000 Pete Smith
16-Dec-2000 Ross Bogert