Index Thread Archive Feb-2000 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Feb-2000Index by Author for Feb-2000Index by Date for Feb-2000   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: C4SXL
Author: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: 23-Feb-2000 12:38:47
At 12:24 PM 2/23/2000 -0500, Bert wrote:
>I have a C4SXL on order. Any "gotchas" to
>watch for during installation ?

Yes -- the linear loading wires are very strong but also very brittle. I
broke one with a single sharp bend and re-straighten. Follow the
instructions carefully, and look at the web site for tech notes on the
linear loading system.

Also -- and this is probably my biggest beef with the antenna -- the
40meter elements really have to be tuned empirically with the antenna at or
near its final operating situation. The 40-meter reflector is hard to work
with because of its distance from the mast, but I think it's essential to
tune the elements individually to the resonant frequencies given in the
tech notes. The trouble is that the two elements are physically identical,
so it's strictly the linear-loading wires that decide what's what.

Might there one day be separate retrofit kits with rigid linear loading
rods separately tailored for reflector and driven element use, to eliminate
this cut and try requirement?

73, Pete N4ZR

Don't forget to update your entry in the World Contest Station Database
http://206.102.70.3/search.htm

04-Mar-2001 AD6E@aol.com
04-Mar-2001 Barry Kirkwood
04-Mar-2001 Pete Smith