Index Thread Archive Feb-2000 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Feb-2000Index by Author for Feb-2000Index by Date for Feb-2000   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: C3 Hardware:
Author: WA9ALS - John <jfleming@shelbynet.net>
Date: 24-Feb-2000 20:26:42
I bought the C31XR last summer. I was advised that non-stainless would
be fine except in the harshest of environments, eg wind/salt/sand etc,
so I went that way. Then a week later, in a moment of indecision, I
ordered the SS package.

Sometime during my tower project I had occasion to remove some non-F12
SS hardware that had been exposed to the elements for a couple of weeks
or so (a copper ground rod clamp that I had SS hardware on). The bolts
had seized, and I thought I'd never get it apart - As I remember, I had
to cut the bolts off!

Based on that "seizing experience" and other TT reflector comments about
seizing, I chickened out of using the SS hardware on the C31XR after
all. The SS hardware is still sitting here on the desk! I don't really
know why I would worry about taking it apart now (don't plan to move or
sell it). But at assembly time I worried about what if 2 weeks into the
project I needed to change something about the assembly etc?

Anyway, I plan to inspect it this summer. If I find rust or other
corrosion problems, I suppose I'll install the SS. If I don't find ANY
problems, maybe I'll offer up my SS package at a bargain price! HI

BTW, I love the C31XR!

WA9ALS - John jfleming@shelbynet.net
http://www.qsl.net/wa9als (now with Shack Cam!)