Index Thread Archive Feb-2000 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Feb-2000Index by Author for Feb-2000Index by Date for Feb-2000   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: C3 to C3E upgrade
Author: Natan Huffman <force12e@lightlink.com>
Date: 25-Feb-2000 21:48:56
Michael,

Please see below:

----- Original Message -----
From: Michael C. Joens <joens@thecia.net>
To: <Force12Talk@qth.com>
Sent: Friday, February 25, 2000 10:17 PM
Subject: [Force 12 Talk] C3 to C3E upgrade

> I have a C3 on my tower at about 43 feet and I love it. I've been thinking
> about adding the 10m reflector. Questions:
>
> 1. Is it worth it in terms of gain, pattern, etc.?

YES YES, You get just less than 1 dB of additional gain AND the f/b
increases dramatically. I converted my C3s to C3E and strongly recommend
either the C3E or the conversion.

> 2. Can the element be installed while the antenna is on the tower?

Assuming you have the boom to mast at 100.5", you MAY be able to reach the
position for the reflector as it is mounted at 65" from the 20 meter
reflector end of the antenna. Please be safe and do it on the ground!
> (reaching the installation point from the tower)
> 3. Are there any adverse effects on the other bands (20/17/15 and 12)?

None.

> 4. Where exactly does the 10m reflector go? I assume it's going between
the
> 15 driver and the mast or just behind the mast.

65" from the end of the boom and between the 15 meter reflector and the
mast.

> I have been able to take down and re-install the 15 driver to adjust its
> length, so if the point for the 10m reflector is reachable, I'm sure I
have
> the dexterity to install it on the tower.

Yes but the 15 meter driver is only 19" from the mast. Take it down and do
it the safe way.

Natan W6XR/2
FORCE 12 East
Ithaca, NY