Index Thread Archive Feb-2000 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Feb-2000Index by Author for Feb-2000Index by Date for Feb-2000   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: Vertical info
Author: David Aslin <david@aslin.demon.co.uk>
Date: 27-Feb-2000 05:48:15
Slightly off-post, but hopefully useful to vertical array builders:

I've been using two EF180BVs spaced 30' (one-eighth wavelength) and phased
as my 80m low angle/directional antenna for about 4 years now. Works well
for DX and contesting.

Background research on radials and considering my real-estate restricted
site led me to the following:

- setting up (and keeping them XYL friendly) looked tough with elevated
radials, so I mounted the EF180BVs on fence posts with the feedpoint about
12" above ground

- current concentration is greatest near the base of the vertical. Make
sure you have plenty of metal in that region. My installation has a 3 feet
square piece of 12g aluminum at the base with a 1" aluminum strap to the
ground side of the feedpoint. Radials are fastened with stainless steel
hardware around the periphery of the plate (13 1/4" bolts per side)

- long is only better if you can get lots of long radials down at your
site. (See ON4UN's book) Even 1/4 wavelength is a challenge on my small
lot. So I went for lots of short (20-30 foot) radials. I add to these
from time to time so that I've got around 80 per element now. I used 20ga
tinned copper because it was available. Ground resistance estimated at
better than 3 ohms from the impedance measurements I've made.

- a benefit I didn't expect came from the order in which I installed the
radials. I started by laying all the radials between the pair of verticals
i.e. none around the 180 degrees area on the 'outside' of the array. I
found later that the performance gain from completing the full circle of
radials around each vertical was slight and that the phasing circuit needed
no further adjustment. This led me to conclude that a good array could be
fitted into a piece of land of no more than 60 X 30 feet. I certainly had
some good DX results before the outer radials were laid.

This all leaves me wishing that my lot was large enough for a 4-square -
has anyone tried an array of EFI80BVs or the 160m version? But at least I
can put a decent signal out (and null the rest of Europe when I'm working
Stateside!)

73

Dave
G3WGN

One of the M6T gang
G5M in ARRL DX and CQWPX contests

* 27-Feb-2000 David Aslin
26-Feb-2000 Natan Huffman
This Author (Feb-2000)
  Subject   Date
C3.C3E,C3S 26-Feb-2000
C3SS 27-Feb-2000
How To Make Sure The Antenna Really Works 26-Feb-2000
* Vertical info 27-Feb-2000