Index Thread Archive Feb-2000 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Feb-2000Index by Author for Feb-2000Index by Date for Feb-2000   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: The Illuminator
Author: Natan Huffman <force12e@lightlink.com>
Date: 29-Feb-2000 19:02:50
Here is more information about Tom's adventure with an antenna that "works."

73

Natan W6XR/2
FORCE 12 East
Ithaca, NY

A 150 watt bulb was selected and a TS-805S transceiver was used, which had
been adjusted to run a bit more power than normal. The bulb was mounted on a
porcelain base atop a wooden fence post at a height of about 4'. The bulb is
fed through a Force 12 B-1 current balun with 3" leads and the coax feedline
is 9913 Flex, to minimize loss. The feedline runs straight down the fence
post, then along the ground. There are no other antennas within two
wavelengths on 10 meters, but to make sure, the closest Yagi was kept with
the elements at 90 degrees (ends-on) to the target area.

The VSWR of the 150 watt bulb was about 4:1 and the built-in tuner matched
it easily, but there was a little problem. As the filament heats up, the
impedance changes, so I had to hit the tuner button at random moments in
order to have a good match when sending. One operating technique developed,
which was to use the XIT, transmit for a second off frequency to heat the
filament, turn off the XIT and make the call. I eventually used an external
tuner, which made operating much easier, as I could make real time
adjustments as necessary. The first time "The Illuminator" was on the air
was during the latest 10-10 contest. I operated a total of about an hour.
All of the contacts were in the Midwest. Experimentation showed that if a
station moved the S-meter to S-3, I was fairly sure we could make the path.
Many of the QSO's were with one call, no repeats, no comment about how weak
the signal was. Interesting. It was obvious that the station on the other
end was providing the majority of the resources to make the path.
Nevertheless, it "worked." I remembered the many times I have heard how well
an antenna "works", because of the number of countries that have been
worked. All right, then, maybe we can do even better.

The A.R.R.L. DX CW contest was coming. Our weather was not very nice, with
heavy rain and high winds. The QTH is on a small hill and the wind is
usually extremely strong, but at least I did not have to be concerned about
the rotator on the light bulb! Trying to complete some outside work between
storms, I got on the air. I have operated contests for more than 35 years,
but I never felt so ill equipped to call someone. It was mid-morning on
Saturday and the first station I decided to try was V47KP. Send my call at
36 wpm - he comes right back - one call, perfect. Just like using a "real
antenna." Hey, that is not only a new country with a light bulb, but a new
distance record. My sporadic operating produced 14 countries the first day.
I brought the log to the Paso Robles Amateur radio Club pot luck dinner that
evening and Larry, W7CB noticed I was missing Africa for worked all
continents. Aha - another challenge! I figured the best bet would be if Jim
Neiger, ZD8Z were on.

The sun had begun to illuminate the morning sky and I was tuning across the
band with "The Illuminator." By the way, the band is really quiet on this
antenna. I hear some one. Sure enough, there he is. He was having trouble
maintaining his frequency and hearing through some European stations. His
signal was less than S1 on the meter, so I knew I would have to wait for
conditions to improve. About 90 minutes later, the sun was fully up, and so
was ZD8Z, reaching S3/S4 on peaks. It took a few calls, but we made it: the
first Worked All Continents on a light bulb. Now I was really motivated, but
there was more work outside before the next rain. I decided that short "rest
periods" were necessary every hour. The country count at the end of the
contest was 28, with 41 stations worked.

We now know that truly, everything works. The performance envelope is the
important factor. Although I had fun using the light bulb, it certainly
would not promote my interest in amateur radio if it were my only antenna.
Radio would be boring and frustrating, to say the least. Adding a kilowatt
amplifier would allow more QSO's to be made, but I would hot hear any
better. I would not be aware of the sea of activity on our bands. The more
efficient our antenna, the more enjoyment we can get from our wonderful
hobby. Looking back to the basic chart, a dipole in the clear is a wonderful
antenna and having a 2 element Yagi gets us a long way to a world class
potential station.

While everything "works", some antennas certainly "work" much better than
others.

01-Mar-2000 David Patton
* 29-Feb-2000 Natan Huffman
26-Feb-2000 Natan Huffman