Index Thread Archive Mar-2000 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Mar-2000Index by Author for Mar-2000Index by Date for Mar-2000   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: C31XR 15 meter VSWR
Author: Natan Huffman <force12e@lightlink.com>
Date: 03-Mar-2000 12:46:08
Friends,

This reflector is working better than I ever hoped! The C31XR uses a
combination open and closed feed system developed specifically for the XR
series of antennas. The closed sleeve part of the feed includes the two
wires that are connected at one end to the 10 meter driver and at the other
to the 20 meter driver. The spacing between these two wires if not correct
can cause 15 meter resonance well below the band and subsequent higher and
out of spec VSWR on 15 meters. A spacing of anything greater than 1/4" will
usually cause this high VSWR problem. This issue seems to be exacerbated by
installations of lower than 1 wavelength.

Easily, 95% of the field inquiries I receive asking about high VSWR can be
addressed by movement of these two wires. Unlike and contrary to what is
shown in photographs and text in earlier manuals, these wires need to be
quite close together. A good solution is to put a width of vinyl tape every
12" or so along the length of these wires. This action will normally bring
the resonance up to a point within the band and will result in a low VSWR
throughout the band.

Most other 15 meter anomalies have to do with 40 meter beams in the
neighborhood. A few have even been traced to incorrect element lengths!

I am getting the manuals changed and eliminating the photographs in the
manuals so that we do not continue having this problem.

Natan W6XR/2
FORCE 12 East
Ithaca, NY

03-Mar-2000 WA9ALS - John