Index Thread Archive Mar-2000 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Mar-2000Index by Author for Mar-2000Index by Date for Mar-2000   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: C31XR 15 SWR
Author: JBaumgarte@aol.com <JBaumgarte@aol.com>
Date: 03-Mar-2000 13:51:58

<< The spacing between these two wires if not correct
> can cause 15 meter resonance well below the band and subsequent higher and
> out of spec VSWR on 15 meters. A spacing of anything greater than 1/4"
will
> usually cause this high VSWR problem. This issue seems to be exacerbated
by
> installations of lower than 1 wavelength. >>

Natan,
As an early C31XR owner I have fought with this problem at length. Tom told
me they should be close, but one-quarter inch!! I have added/subtracted
5-15' of coax and found a little help in, apparantly, avoiding critical feed
line lengths. But, I'm over 1/4" on my spacing, that's for sure! It's up
110' so when I go up there, I want to be sure I have the right information.

I recently noticed that one of the jumpers connecting/separating the 15 & 20
driven elements has disappeared. Are you still going with the SS hose clamp
type installation on these plastic pieces? Unfortunately, I notice that, if
windy, the SWR on 15 now really dances around. Fortunately, my extensive
experience with trying to tune the 15 portion of the antenna has me well
prepared to tilt the antenna and reach out and grab these elements to effect
this repair!

If this will fix the 15 SWR problem, then this antenna will truly be a world
beater--even from Northern Minnesota. (over 100 countries and 1000 Q's on
each band 10 & 20 in ARRLCW DX). 15 meters used a lower side mount C4.

Thanks,

John Baumgarten, N0IJ
Duluth, MN

* 03-Mar-2000 JBaumgarte@aol.com