Index Thread Archive Mar-2000 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Mar-2000Index by Author for Mar-2000Index by Date for Mar-2000   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: Tale of 3 Light Bulbs (aka Illuminator)
Author: K2KW <K2KW@prodigy.net>
Date: 06-Mar-2000 10:50:50
It was a lot of fun to have a bunch of you call me on 10m during the ARRL
SSB Contest and ask "Are you on the light bulb?"

I went down to N6BT's QTH with the main purpose of trying to work as many
countries as possible using the "Illuminator". Well, I banged my head
against the wall for the better part of the contest, unable to work a single
station with the light bulb. My best assessment is the high 10m activity
produced so much
splatter, that it was impossible to hear my (really) weak signal. Also, the
pileups were so large, that it was difficult to find a lull where I could
call. And finally, the threshold for working a station on SSB is much
higher than on CW.

Finally towards the end of the contest signals started to get really strong,
and the pileups thinned out. The following people were worked on the Phased
Illuminators: KH7R, PJ4G, LU1NF, 6D2X, and ZF2NT got a few letters, but
no-go. This is a far cry from the 28 countries that Tom worked on the
Illuminator during the ARRL CW contest...

Yes, the antenna was REALLY phased lightbulbs! Three bulbs were arranged in
a triangle (1/2 wavelength spacing on 10m), and a WX0B StackMatch was used
to fire
any two antennas, and thus aim the array. I was really surprised at the
pattern of the phased lightbulbs. Many times there was a good 20 dB of
rejection off the sides of the array.

For the SSB contest, Tom had also upgraded to 300 watt bulbs, which made it
possible to run the amplifier, as long as the syllables were kept short. Tom
had made some EU and
Pacific QSO's before the contest, so it was "working." His Illuminator
country total is
currently 31.

So I wouldn't go completely crazy, on Sunday I used the C19 and 10 watts to
see what I could work. I worked everything I called, and most on the first
call. It was amazing to hear how many pileups I sliced through. Tom was
listening to my QRP antics, and kept checking the power level since he
couldn't believe how easy it was. The highlight was seeing Tom nearly burst

from laughter after I broke the large pileup for an HL5. I called the HL
for a while, and was about to give up. Then the HL worked a young lady
(YL), and
asked if there were other YL's on frequency. I immediately threw my call in
using my best imitation YL voice, and the HL came right back! Tom was
crying and turning red from laughing so hard. The pileup got crazy after
my QSO, but through the din, I heard 2 other stations trying the same
high-pitched-voice trick. I didn't stick around to see if it worked for
them too. After a few hours of S&P, I had netted over 60 countries running
10w. I wish I had gone QRP from the start!!

So what did we learn? After distilling the various aspects of all the
combinations we ran over the weekend, plus our collective experience, we
concluded that a really great station that will produce lots of enjoyment in
radio is 100 watts to an efficient 2 element Yagi at around 30'. You can
hear the majority of the activity (unlike the quiet Illuminator) and can
make it to the DX stations, given some operating skill and persistence.
During the weekend, I heard a lot of people calling stations and not even
getting a QRZ from the station (much like me using the light bulbs). It
makes me wonder how many antennas out there are not much more efficient than
a light bulb :)

73, Kenny K2KW & Tom, N6BT

* 06-Mar-2000 K2KW
This Author (Mar-2000)
  Subject   Date
re C4S 08-Mar-2000
* Tale of 3 Light Bulbs (aka Illuminator) 06-Mar-2000