Index Thread Archive Mar-2000 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Mar-2000Index by Author for Mar-2000Index by Date for Mar-2000   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: F12 nuts
Author: JBaumgarte@aol.com <JBaumgarte@aol.com>
Date: 06-Mar-2000 14:01:38
In a message dated 3/6/00 12:21:38 PM Central Standard Time, K7LXC@aol.com
writes:

<< Am I the only one that is very aggravated at the recent adoption of
5/8" sized nuts on big U-bolts on F12 antennas? >>

I was thinking the same thing. Every time you add another socket and
matching wrench or two, the belt gets a bit heavier.

Hopefully this wasn't covered earlier, but it also reminds me that I was
perhaps the last guy to figure out why occasionally these bigger antennas
slip on the mast after you have really tightened. I had a very difficult
time trying to keep my 180 C (80 mtr rotatable with 84' element) in place on
a cromolly steel mast (very hard and very slippery). I even inserted silicon
carbide screen between the mast and the clamps--still moved in a big wind.
The problem was that I always had to slip this antenna up the mast after
installation to the point I wanted it. No matter how careful I was, there
was always some out of allignment caused by the antenna resting on the loose
saddle clamp prior to tighening. Bottom line: move antenna to desired
location, tighten one clamp, totally loosen the other and then tighten
gradually making sure it's perfectly alligned. THEN--totally loosen the
first one and do the same. This is what I wasn't doing! This, with the
gritty screen has, so far, been successful in keeping this beast in position.
I suppose this isn't so likely to be a problem if you're working comfortably
at tower top, but I was doing it from a mast step above my C31 so. . . . .

Hope this is helpful to one person!

John, N0IJ

06-Mar-2000 K7LXC@aol.com
* 06-Mar-2000 JBaumgarte@aol.com