Index Thread Archive Mar-2000 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Mar-2000Index by Author for Mar-2000Index by Date for Mar-2000   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: F12 Nuts
Author: Natan Huffman <force12e@lightlink.com>
Date: 07-Mar-2000 09:39:42
From Tom, N6BT

Natan W6XR/2
FORCE 12 East
Ithaca, NY

The larger nuts for 3/8" threads (on the U-bolts) resulted from several
suggestions to increase the area under the nut, not quite like a flat
washer, but in that direction. These nuts are more expensive - no mass deal
on them, as claimed. We never buy anything because of some kind of "deal."
All the nuts and lockwashers are stainless. We remove the supplied nuts and
lockwashers and we put them on, so there should not have been any combined
sizes.

I do many installations, so I am sensitive to these issues and now carry one
more socket, a 5/8". Before climbing, I check to be sure I have all the
tools, which includes two crescent wrenches, one 6" in the pouch and a 10"
on a clip. Hate to get up top and be missing a tool because I didn't plan
ahead. The additional 5/8" socket was not much of a hardship. I carry two of
everything, just in case I drop one - which has fortunately never happened.

We are open to suggestions and do our best to respond in a productive
manner. Maybe the need to carry another socket over-rides the larger
purchase area of the nuts. I'll see what stock is in house.

To close this on a humors note, if we switch back to the 9/16" nuts, is
someone going to claim we did this to save money?

Tom, N6BT
Force 12, Inc.