Index Thread Archive Mar-2000 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Next in threadNext in archive   Index by Subject for Mar-2000Index by Author for Mar-2000Index by Date for Mar-2000   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: kt 34 xa vs. c 19 xr
Author: Ken Eigsti <diverken@chaffee.net>
Date: 08-Mar-2000 10:25:10
Salvatore,
I have replaced a KT34XA with a C36XR, which is a C19 and a EF240 on the
same boom. It is very early in the game (only got 36xr up on Sunday), but
here are my PRELIMINARY results. (This ain't no Steve and Ward scientic
study). To compare, I had always put the XA (at 75') against my T-8
(Tennedyne log periodic at 42'). From this I usually got 1-2 "S" units
difference with the XA on 20 and 1 S unit on 10 and 15 over the T-8.. that
was pretty standard with working DX.

I took down the KT34XA (after 12 years) as electrically it went south. 20
was 3:1 and 10-15 were ok SWR wise, but the T-8 at 42' was killing the XA
on all bands. That meant something was wrong. Also, I wanted 40 mtrs, so
that was one of the reasons I went with the C36XR.

Over the weekend I switched back and forth between the T-8 Log and 36XR
with all the DX in the contest to listen to. The 20 mtr. on the 36xr seems
to be about the same, 1-2 S units better than T-8, but 15 and 10 are
greatly improved with the 36xr. I also noticed when working stations
recently in the pileups on 10 and 15, I seem to get through much better
with the 36xr. My impression (not scientific) after LESS THAN A WEEK is
that the XA and 36xr were pretty well equal on 20 but the 36xr is superior
to the XA on 10 and 15. I never was happy with the XA on 15 meters, never
could bust pileups like on 20..

A side note: The Force 12 people are proud that the elements are mounted
under the boom "like Issac Newton and gravity intended", well I saw that in
action. I hired a crane (only way to put up 36xr in my opinion) and as soon
as I lifted the 34XA out of the tower it started inverting, up side down, a
real mess with elements tangling in guy wires ets. I thought, oh boy this
is going to be fun getting the 36xr up. When we hooked up the 36xr to lift
it up, (same mast and same length) LEVEL, NO UPSIDE DOWN, just as LEVEL and
smooth of an operation as can be.. If the elements under the boom made the
difference it sure was a BIG difference. It was a very easy process and no
elements (especially the long 40 mtr ones) got beat up.

Also, in construction, the Force 12 was the easiest of all antennas to
assemble in my 43 years of hamming. (I've put together Tennedyne,
Cushcraft, HyGain, Mosely, KLM etc.) I like the rivots and the bundling of
elements together.

I still have a lot of testing to do, but so far I'm a happy camper.

Hope this has helped you..

73 Ken
W0LSD
Buena Vista, CO. (already a mile high)

At 03:38 PM 03/08/2000 +0100, you wrote:

> Hi, of comparation about the KLM KT 34XA and the C 19XR, for
>notice my tower is about 24 ft. high and is located very next to a
>building (15 ft. away) and about 17 ft height. May I have at least a little
> improvement of my user soon 73's IK8UND - Salvatore Farina

* 08-Mar-2000 Ken Eigsti
08-Mar-2000 Officine Grafiche Farina
This Author (Mar-2000)
  Subject   Date