Index Thread Archive Mar-2000 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Mar-2000Index by Author for Mar-2000Index by Date for Mar-2000   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: Height above metal roof
Author: Alan Kaul <alan.kaul@worldnet.att.net>
Date: 09-Mar-2000 11:16:36
NATAN wrote:::

>Expecting a 40 meter antenna to "work" when mounted directly above and at
low heights above a metal or concrete (probably with reinforcing rod) roof
is an unreasonable expectation.
----

The key words are ''...at low heights...''

I am expecting to put a C19xr or one of the versions of the C3 or C4 atop a
40 foot tower which is side mounted to my home. The roof of the home is
called "Australian tile" which is a metal-based roofing product. The house
is a one story, with a shallow gable. The antenna would be from about 28 to
about 20 feet above the metal roof. So we're talking more than a
quarter-wave at 20M, less than a quarter-wave at 40 (if a bought an antenna
with that element option).

Natan (or anyone else who might offer an answer), is your opinion
that in my specific case the antenna would be at an adequate height above
the roof to prevent interaction between the antenna and the roof??
Obviously I don't want to buy the Yagi unless I have some reasonable
expectation that it would work properly at my installation.

Please and thanks, 73 de alan

Alan Kaul, W6RCL, LaCanada, CA
w6rcl@amsat.org , http://home.att.net/~alan.kaul/index.html

09-Mar-2000 V.Kecman