Index Thread Archive Mar-2000 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Mar-2000Index by Author for Mar-2000Index by Date for Mar-2000   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: <no subject>
Author: wn9o@usa.net <wn9o@usa.net>
Date: 09-Mar-2000 22:53:29
I will try and answer a few of the questions with this one posting...
I apologize if the post is somewhat hard to follow..

First the original antenna was a KT-34XA at 102'. I used it in the

early 1990's and still have it stored in the C-51XR shipping crate

(or coffin as my wife put it (Hi)) from Force 12. I then installed
the C-4XL/D and had it up for two plus years (even adding a stacked
C-3E below it - heights were 102' & 74'). I would say, in general,

the C-4XL was better on all bands except 10 meters. The stacked

antennas helped even more, but I still wanted more gain..

I had a local ham wanting to buy a C-4XL like mine, so I decided to

sell it to him and buy the C-51XR and a C-31XR. I did quite a bit of
modeling with AO and NEC. I then talked with Tom N6BT, Jay WX0B, and

Jim VE1JF about stacking. Each gave me more in-site to push on and try
and find the best combination I could. It was apparent after my own

modeling and seeing Tom's numbers that 40' separation was the best (for
my situation). The C-51XR was put at 102' and the C-31XR was put at

62'. I had the C-3E and figured I could use it as a multiplier antenna
in the contests. I started running the numbers and had to get John,

K9UWA, involved when my ham version of AO started choking! He has a

AO-Pro version and started cranking. I finally put the bottom antenna
at 38' and I think the spacing was best for my tower height (as the

C-3E spacing increased it became closer to the ground). In a previous
post I quoted some of the numbers, but the top two antennas have about
3 dB over the top antenna and the additional C-3E would gain only .5 -
.9 dB. My reason for using the C-3E was, I had it and the switching

advantage in the contests made it work for me. Would I use it as a
stacking choice (with the C-51XR & C-31XR) if I were to buy it, NO.

Things to look out for when stacking different kinds of antennas (just
to name a few) are: SWR curves, feedpoint positions, heights, band
gain, boom length, etc. I had a problem that did not occur to me

until Jim, VE1JF, brought it to my attention and that was the C-31XR
and C-51XR feeding. Both of these antennas use the same elements and
spacing on 20-10 mtrs. I should be able to use the same length coax
right? WRONG! The horizontal spacing of the driven elements on

20-10 meters are around 10 feet. When modeled it shows some

difference on 20 meters, but 10 meters is completely screwed up

(assuming I don't make the phasing adjustments).

The reason for picking the C-31XR to stack with the C-51XR is the fact
that they are identical on 20-10 meters. The 2 el. 40 mtr is located
behind the C-31XR to make the C-51XR... I would agree with Natan
that you generally don't want to have different antennas when stacking.
To say to cannot is incorrect, just keep your modeling program fired up!

In comparison of the C-51XR, C-31XR, & C-3E to what I had last year,
there is no comparison! These antennas will perform much better..
The local ham has the C-4XL at 90' and when comparing it to either
of the C-31XR or C-51XR antennas, I am still louder (this has only been
random testing - not scientific).

As for the possibility of using a monster quad, I am not up for the
ice problems seen here in the midwest. I know a few people who swear
by them and have had great success in the Indiana area. I have just
heard the horror stories about wind and ice... Maybe someone can report
on the 6 band monster quad??

The AB-105 tower, from my limited knowledge, is an old military

type tower and is very heavy, but durable. The big negative is

guying (for me).

See you in the pile-ups!!

73's,

Kevin --> WN9O

"Tommy Tow" <WD4K@Bellsouth.Net> wrote:
Hi Kevin, Was wondering about a couple of things after reading your post.
At
what height do you have your original C31 and where did you locate the
second and the C3E?? Did you model this arrangement? After reading W4AN
opinions on towers on hilltops, (I am 800'up, in the clear with a 300' d
rop
and horizon in all directions) I decided to not put up a 100'+ tower.
I have a C31 at 74' now and planned on adding another at 37' and have bee
talking to Natan. His advice was not to mix different boom lengths withi
the stack-have you seen any negatives by mixing the two C31's and the
shorter boom C3E?? I will have a second tower but just trying to get thi
one correctly configured for the present. Thanks, Tommy WD4K

Get free email and a permanent address at http://www.netaddress.com/?N=
1

07-Aug-2000 Danny
07-Aug-2000 Danny
04-Aug-2000 JOHN BOEDEKER
02-Aug-2000 JOHN BOEDEKER
13-Jun-2000 Roger Doran
21-Mar-2000 V.Kecman
20-Mar-2000 Gary Bernard
09-Mar-2000 wn9o@usa.net
* 09-Mar-2000 wn9o@usa.net
09-Mar-2000 Sauvageot Christoph
07-Mar-2000 wn9o@usa.net
07-Mar-2000 wn9o@usa.net
07-Mar-2000 wn9o@usa.net
02-Mar-2000 wn9o@usa.net
28-Feb-2000 N2TK
28-Feb-2000 Gary Reichow J.
27-Feb-2000 wn9o@usa.net
25-Feb-2000 Tyler Stewart
25-Feb-2000 Natan Huffman
25-Feb-2000 Gary Reichow J.
25-Feb-2000 Chris Swallow
25-Feb-2000 wn9o@usa.net
24-Feb-2000 wn9o@usa.net
23-Feb-2000 wn9o@usa.net
23-Feb-2000 Natan Huffman
23-Feb-2000 Pete Smith
This Author (Mar-2000)
  Subject   Date
09-Mar-2000
* 09-Mar-2000
07-Mar-2000
07-Mar-2000
07-Mar-2000
02-Mar-2000
Anyone out there using the C-51XR and WARC-7 together 09-Mar-2000