Index Thread Archive Mar-2000 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Mar-2000Index by Author for Mar-2000Index by Date for Mar-2000   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: Ice Loading
Author: Natan Huffman <force12e@lightlink.com>
Date: 10-Mar-2000 11:22:12
All our designs are designed to survive ice loading by allowing the elements
to deform and flex to shed ice. You can count on our antennas to take on
new shapes with ice load as that is exactly what they are supposed to do.
As the ice melts, or the winds blow, the elements will all return to the
original configuration.

The element deformation decreases as the wind load rating of the design
increases. A standard 80 mph C3 will deform more than any of the 100 mph
"XR" designs.

I often get accumulations of >.5 radial ice and it is common place for my
C3Es to have the tips of the 20 meter elements pointed down at 70 degrees.
I've learned to simply be patient as the original configuration always
returns.

73

* 10-Mar-2000 Natan Huffman
This Author (Mar-2000)