Index Thread Archive Mar-2000 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Mar-2000Index by Author for Mar-2000Index by Date for Mar-2000   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: C31XR
Author: Martin Riederer <Michaela.Geisselbrecht@phil.stud.uni-erlangen.de>
Date: 18-Mar-2000 16:48:18
hello dear reader, hello Tom, hello Natan,

this is Martin, dl4nac. together with dl8oh i am using a c31xr model 'h'
since september 1998. we have two good things to report and still one
little problem.

here are the good news:

the antenna is mechanically very solid. our location is on a hilltop
(600m asl) with heavy storms and often big ice-loads. during the last
two winters several hams lost their antennas here in northern bavaria.
however we had no trouble with our c31xr.

the performance is quite good on all three bands. we dont have a second
antenna at the same time to do some real compares. the feeling however
is, that the performance is nearly the same as the big quad we had used
before (20m 3 ele, 15m 4 ele, 10m 4ele on 8m boom).

we are very happy with this antenna. but one problem we havent solved
yet:

while 15 m and 20 m are ok, the vswr-behaviour on 10 meters (values and
frequency of best vswr) depends very much on length of coax-cable. the
vswr is not as broadband as expected. the frequency of best vswr does
not move in a linear way with changing the length of the 10m driven
element.

the antenna is mounted 15m above ground (relatively poor ground / mostly
rocks / moderate to steep sloping into all directions). 1.5 m above the
c31xr is a small vhf-yagi and 3.5 m above the c31xr is a cushcraft
40-2cd 2 ele 40m yagi. all antennas are pointing into the same
direction. 2 m below the c31xr there is a little platform which is a 1.6
m by 1.6 m square. the handrail of the platform is about 1 m below the
c31xr. i attached a photo of the antennas as a jpg-file. the coax is
about 20 to 25 meters long, H100 type 50 ohms.

what we have tried by now:

- changing from 1 to 3 feedlines: no significant difference
- lifting the c31xr approximately 0.75 meter upward to the position it
has now: no significant difference
- changing from a rf choke to a force12 1:1-balun: no significant
difference
- simulating the antenna with eznec 2.0 with and without the platform:
no significant change in impedance
- terminating the 15m and 20m feedlines: open / 50 ohms / closed: big
influence to 10m-vswr-behaviour

here are some questions. any answers and comments are welcome:

- does anybody have the same effects with his c31xr?
- what do you think could be the reason for this vswr-behaviour on 10m?
- are our simulation results identical to simulations done by others?
the 10m-results of the simulation (done by dl6nbc) are attachad as a
doc-file
- what else would you test?

in the attached xls-file the interested reader can find some of the
results of our impedance- and vswr-measurements done with a mfj259b,
always tuning between 27.5 and 29.4 MHz:

the measured values of 12 different situations are recorded in
'measurement values'. '1 a' to '5' show graphs over frequency for the
first 5 situations.

number 1 to 3 are measurements done in the shack, each time with 3
different cable-lengths (a/b/c). number 1 with rf-choke, 2 with
force12-balun, 3 with force 12 balun and additional balun close to mfj.

number 4 is in the shack with force12 balun at the feeding point using
different terminations of the 15 m and 20m feedlines.

number 5 is measured directly at the 10 m feeding point.

number 6 to 12 are points of best vswr, measured directly at the feeding
point with some changes in termination of 15 m and 20 m feedlines and
different lengths of the 10 m driven element.

many thanks for your mails in advance

73s de Martin, DL4NAC@QSL.NET

24-Jul-2000 WA9ALS - John
24-Jul-2000 Roger Huntley