Index Thread Archive Apr-2000 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Apr-2000Index by Author for Apr-2000Index by Date for Apr-2000   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: 40 meter N elements & 72 ohm
Author: Natan Huffman <force12e@lightlink.com>
Date: 08-Apr-2000 13:17:24
Over the last few months I have often been asked about the possibility of
substituting our new "N" element for our standard EF140 series element. The
advantage of doing this would be the enjoyment of the greater bandwidth
(2:1.)

Doing the swap for antennas such as the C36XR, C51XR, C4XL and others turns
out to be a most significant re-engineering task. The first model we are
working on is the C36XR. To do this redesign, we must solve significant
mechanical issues as the N element weighs more than what we now use and this
subsequent weight increase means balance changes and the boom must be
strengthened considerably. We must keep the opening for the tower (for side
mount installation) where it is and the driven cell can't be moved, so this
is just one of the problems.

Given enough time and resources, we will solve the variuos issues and offer
several models with the "N" series elements. I'm pushing and working to
have this done by fall, but no promises yet.

W2OX asked about using our antennas with 72 ohm CATV coax and I scratched my
head and said why not. An easy solution available to match the antenna to
72 ohm rather than 50 ohms, would be:

1/ Any of our antennas that use a hairpin across the feed point can be
matched to 72 ohms by simply adding 2 or three turns to the hairpin coil.
You simply need a bit more "L" to increase the impedence to 72 ohms from the
presentation impedance.

2/ Use a balanced to unbalanced ferrite balun to do the impedence
transformation at the antenna and the same may then be needed at the other
end of the coax to get from 72 ohms to 50 ohms IF your radios and amps don't
like the 72 ohm impedance. I've no idea what modern output circuits can
handle.

3/ Unless you are running an amp that wants to see a very low VSWR at all
times, just connect it all up and go operate. Review the charts to see what
the VSWR would be using 72 ohm coax and then review the actual loss.

Anyone using 72 ohm CATV hardline successfully?

Thanks,

Natan W6XR
Force12 East
Ithaca, NY
FN12sk

12-Apr-2000 Guy K2AV Olinger
08-Apr-2000 Pete Smith
* 08-Apr-2000 Natan Huffman
This Author (Apr-2000)
  Subject   Date
* 40 meter N elements & 72 ohm 08-Apr-2000
C4S 02-Apr-2000
De-bugging Presentation 16-Apr-2000
Debugging an antenna system 15-Apr-2000
F12 C4SXL .. Tuning .. 15-Apr-2000