Index Thread Archive Apr-2000 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Apr-2000Index by Author for Apr-2000Index by Date for Apr-2000   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: F12 C4SXL Assembly and Tuning Love Story
Author: Robert Doherty <k1vv@tmlp.com>
Date: 15-Apr-2000 05:43:58
Tony.. we have a C-4XL/D... and an MFJ259 antenna analyzer. Desired freq. - 7040

1.antenna fully assembled and only 4 ft off the ground on saw horses.
2. 40 meter linear loading set at 12 inches as per manual on the driven element.
3. Measured SWR 1.2: 1 @ 6940
4. Rohn 68 ft foldover , tilted DOWN, antenna installed ... SWR 1.2: 1 at 6870 ...
tilted UP 1.2:1 @ 6910. Moved up in freq. 40 khz when tilted up but still too low.
5. Tilted the tower down again reset the linear loading to 18 inches on driven element ONLY.
6. tilted the tower up SRW 1.2 : 1 @ 7040... 1.5 : 1 @ 7000.... 2.0 : @ 7110.

It works SUPER on 40 ......

73 Whitey K1VV

Tony wrote:

> Hi all,
> Now that there is a Force12Talk reflector...
>
> Has anyone else had trouble tuning the 40 meter section? Was your experience similar? Any speculation as to the cause?
>
> Thanks & good DX,
>
> 73, Tony
> Tony Armendariz, AD6ID
> ad6id@arrl.net
> FISTS 3535 WPSS ARRL
>
> >Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 10:57:54 -0700
> >To: Stuart Browne <satcom@lava.net>
> >From: Tony <ad6id@arrl.net>
> >Subject: Re:F12 C4XL Assembly and Tuning Love Story
> >
> >Hi Stu,
> > I just put together a C4SXL with a nearly identical experience to yours. I'm still waiting for an answer from N6BT on why the 40M adjustment was so far off. Instead of 14" I wound up at 24" on the driver's linear loading to get a 1.3 SWR at 7.080 (measured at 30 ft thru 70 feet of coax). Before making this adjustment, we verified the dimensions of all 40M elements (tilt-over tower); they were right on.
> > Where did your adjustment wind up? Got any theories?
> >
> > I also found the factory tuning on 10 M to be at 29.0 MHz. An odd place to need a beam, don'tcha think. Anyway, 2 holes and 4 rivits later I'm centered at 28.4 MHz.
> >
> > I broke one of the Aluma-Weld wires, too.
> >
> > I was able to use mine in CQWWphone and run some DX in between. In the contest I got 20 countries in < 1 hour. Hunting DX with the webcluster, I can have QSOs with weak DX that I cannot even hear on a ladder fed dipole.
> >
> > I love it.
> >
> >cheers & 73, Tony
> >
> >Tony Armendariz, AD6ID
> >ad6id@arrl.net
> >FISTS 3535 WPSS ARRL

* 15-Apr-2000 Robert Doherty
14-Apr-2000 Tony
This Author (Apr-2000)
  Subject   Date
40m at 50' (Island QTH) 15-Apr-2000
C-4XLD Results 03-Apr-2000
* F12 C4SXL Assembly and Tuning Love Story 15-Apr-2000
Just ordered C-4SXL 21-Apr-2000