Index Thread Archive Apr-2000 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Apr-2000Index by Author for Apr-2000Index by Date for Apr-2000   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: 40m at 50' (Island QTH)
Author: K1JD@aol.com <K1JD@aol.com>
Date: 15-Apr-2000 11:43:08
Given the experience of this group, I would be interested in opinions
regarding the practical use of 40m element(s) (eg, C4, C4SXL) at only 50
feet. Before you reach for your keyboards, QTH is an island in Narragansett
bay west of Newport, RI. We are about 800 feet uphill from the water at 60'
ASL, so the top of the tower would be at ~110' above the salt water
surrounding the island.
Obviously most of the literature and theory prefer to have it higher, but
could being close to the water mitigate this somewhat? Don't think I've ever
read anything about this particular situation.
50' is the height limit in accordance with town regulations. Alternative
of course is not to bother with 40m and go with a C3.

Thanks,

73,
John K1JD
Jamestown, RI