Index Thread Archive Apr-2000 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Apr-2000Index by Author for Apr-2000Index by Date for Apr-2000   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: 40m at 50' (Island QTH)
Author: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: 15-Apr-2000 12:23:50
At 12:41 PM 4/15/00 EDT, K1JD wrote:
> Given the experience of this group, I would be interested in opinions
>regarding the practical use of 40m element(s) (eg, C4, C4SXL) at only 50
>feet. Before you reach for your keyboards, QTH is an island in Narragansett
>bay west of Newport, RI. We are about 800 feet uphill from the water at 60'
>ASL, so the top of the tower would be at ~110' above the salt water
>surrounding the island.
> Obviously most of the literature and theory prefer to have it higher, but
>could being close to the water mitigate this somewhat? Don't think I've
ever
>read anything about this particular situation.
> 50' is the height limit in accordance with town regulations. Alternative
>of course is not to bother with 40m and go with a C3.

A couple of comments:

You should get a copy of YT, the terrain analysis program that comes with
the current edition of the antenna book. Then model your lines of sight to
the key DX destinations. The software compares the lobes that your antenna
will generate by reflection off your sloping foreground with the elevation
angles needed for the path in question -- very enlightening, and it's free.

You should also have a look at Dave Leeson's book "Physical Design of Yagi
antennas," especially chapter 10, on siting. He is a great fan of sloping
foregrounds, and has the math in his book for determining where reflection
occurs for a given take-off angle and tower height.

I just did a very quick and dirty YT run of your terrain and a 2-element
40m yagi at 50 feet. It's clear that the ~ 15:1 sloping foreground gives
you usefully more gain at lower angles than the same antenna height on flat
terrain, even though the first lobe peaks quite high (>30 degrees) with
either foreground. The effect is to broaden the bottom edge of the first
lobe, where most of the DX propagation is. Interestingly, you can see the
shoreline in the model -- it's where the pattern stops being formed by the
slope and starts being formed by the flat seawater!

But the bottom line is, go for the 40-meter capability - you won't regret
it.

73, Pete Smith N4ZR
n4zr@contesting.com

Don't forget to update your entry on the World Contest Station Database,
now at http://www.contesting.com/stationdatabase.htm

16-Apr-2000 K2KW
15-Apr-2000 Andrew Williamson
15-Apr-2000 Robert Doherty
* 15-Apr-2000 Pete Smith
15-Apr-2000 K1JD@aol.com
This Author (Apr-2000)
  Subject   Date
40 meter N elements & 72 ohm 08-Apr-2000
* 40m at 50' (Island QTH) 15-Apr-2000
C3E model needed 13-Apr-2000
EF series retrofit possible? 20-Apr-2000
Recommendations 03-Apr-2000