Index Thread Archive May-2000 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for May-2000Index by Author for May-2000Index by Date for May-2000   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: Salt water enhancement
Author: barry kirkwood <bjk@ihug.co.nz>
Date: 06-May-2000 17:35:22
At 06:57 AM 05/06/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi Ralph and gang,
> I have to agree with you Ralph, and disagree with K2AW, as regards
>"salt water enhancement." In the 1960's i lived in Key West for a couple
>of years. I was active in chasing dx and had modest means, being a sailor
>at Fleet Sonar School, so my station consisted of a Knight T-60 and
>National NC-300. Antennas were low dipoles(20-30 ft. high) and a windom
>20 ft. high at one end and 35 ft. high at the other. My output power was
>about 15-30 watts on 10-20 meters. I worked piles of dx, on cw, including
>Don Miller W9WNV/ZK1S at Suwaro Atol. Later, aboard destroyers in the
>Pacific, North and South Atlantic , Indian , and Artic Oceans, i found
>the propagation to be excellent, anywhere i went. My power output was 100
>watts and my antennas were either verticals or sloping dipoles.
> I grew up on the east coast of N.C. ,within 300 yds. of salt water. I
>enjoyed excellent propagation there too. In 1968, i lived in Jacksonville
>Beach ,Fl. and had a homemade 2 element yagi on 10 meters with .25 wl
>spacing between the elements(Ref., D.E.) and 30 ft. high, no more than
>100 yds from the Atlantic. Europe, Africa and South America were
>extremely easy to work on cw and ssb with my NC-200 transceiver(100 wts.
>output).( The f/b on that antenna was 6 s units, yet nowadays i'm given
>to understand that only 2 or 3 s units is possible. Makes one wonder!)
> In 1932 Bell Labs conducted test to determine where to locate shore
>stations for communicating with ships at sea. These tests were conducted
>in the 66 and 33 meter bands, under both day and night conditions.They
>reported" attenuation of 8 db to 12 db is observed at a distance of one
>mile inland for both 33 and 66 meter transmissions." When i read it, it
>reminded me that when i was a kid and broadcast band dx'ing, i logged
>WAPE in Jacksonville ,Fl. while living in Morehead City, N.C. In the 60's
>and 70's, whenever i went home to visit my parents, i'd frequently look
>for WAPE on the car radio(680 khz. if i remember correctly).At and around
>my parents house(300 yds. from a salt water sound, i could receive it.
>But a mile further inland, it became unreadable.
> Computer simulations of real world conditions cannot tell the whole
>story. For that matter, humans don't know the whole story, in which to
>write programs with. There remains much to be learned about propagation
>and antennas, etc. We won't know it all till we know it all! And thats a
>very long way off!
> 73 Roy Lincoln WA4DOU

FWIW: Bell Labs data cited above confirmed from British Post Office and
Marconi Wireless Co experiments of 1920s and 1930s, also show ca 10db
enchancement for coastal locations.
In practice may be even better due to site enhancement from slope down to sea.

My physics weak in this area, but think the conclusion about lack of
difference between land and sea comes from Brewster angle effects. As sun
reaches a critical angle to the sea, strong glare from the sea surface may
be experienced. A similar effect may be observed on a smooth land surface
e.g. a concrete road. Both rough seas and textured land remove most of the
glare effect.

Computer modelling programs typically show the land as a uniform surface,
thereby giving higher Brewster reflection than most real earth surfaces.

The above applies to HF radio waves within limits.

Someone more learned than me may be inclined to comment. Even taking slope
effects into account, my present QTH on top of slope 300ft above the beach
is by informal observation worth at least 10dB over former city QTH only a
mile or so in from the sea.
73
Barry ZL1DD
end
Barry (Baz) Kirkwood PhD ZL1DD ex ZL1BN, ZL4OK etc
Signal Hill
66 Cory Road STOP AT SIGNAL HILL HOMESTAY B&B
Palm Beach ON BEAUTIFUL WAIHEKE ISLAND
Waiheke Island 1240 ONLY 35 MINUTES BY FERRY
NEW ZEALAND FROM DOWNTOWN AUCKLAND
Ph/Fax 64-9-372-5161
www.waiheke.co.nz/signal.htm

* 06-May-2000 barry kirkwood
06-May-2000 wa4dou@juno.com
01-May-2000 K2KW
01-May-2000 Ralph Parker
This Author (May-2000)
  Subject   Date
Anecdotal Info & Salt Water Enhancement 09-May-2000
More fun by the seaside 09-May-2000
* Salt water enhancement 06-May-2000