Index Thread Archive May-2000 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for May-2000Index by Author for May-2000Index by Date for May-2000   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: Anecdotal Info & Salt Water Enhancement
Author: barry kirkwood <bjk@ihug.co.nz>
Date: 09-May-2000 19:08:28
Both Bell Labs and a number of British sources quote mean enhancements of 10
dB or so for HF stations close to the sea.
I have not seen the original papers, but I have some familiarity with
standard British Post Office installations of the classic era and can state
that horizontally polarised antennas were almost always used above 3mHz.
(Until recent times when things like discones came into play verticals were
hardly ever used on HF).
If the salt water is not a factor, then it must be assumed that other site
factors such as ground slope are involved.
I am not learned in wave propagation, but would presume from the above line
of reasoning that the uncluttered Fresnel zone over water (as opposed to,
say, a hilltop site looking over a hilly foreground) might be the determinant.
Presumably the effective height of the seaside antenna would be better than
one at equivalent elevation over a cluttered foreground?
Some time ago RSGB 'Radio Communication' published an article comparing
signal strengths in Australia from 40m G stations. While the data is
scrappy, the top performers used either vertical arrays e.g Four Square, or
two element inductively loaded shortened yagis. The best yagis were on
elevated locations close to the sea. The best verticals were not necessarily
close to the sea, but all seemed to be on flat lands.
Perhaps someone better informed could comment.
The effectiveness of vertically polarised antennas over saltwater is
generally accepted, although my own limited experience suggests that the
behaviour of hf vertical antennas in elevated locations is hard to predict.
While generally mediocre, some seem to perform amazingly well.
73 Barry ZL1DD >
end
Barry (Baz) Kirkwood PhD ZL1DD ex ZL1BN, ZL4OK etc
Signal Hill
66 Cory Road STOP AT SIGNAL HILL HOMESTAY B&B
Palm Beach ON BEAUTIFUL WAIHEKE ISLAND
Waiheke Island 1240 ONLY 35 MINUTES BY FERRY
NEW ZEALAND FROM DOWNTOWN AUCKLAND
Ph/Fax 64-9-372-5161
www.waiheke.co.nz/signal.htm

11-May-2000 wa4dou@juno.com
11-May-2000 wa4dou@juno.com
* 09-May-2000 barry kirkwood
09-May-2000 K2KW
This Author (May-2000)
  Subject   Date
* Anecdotal Info & Salt Water Enhancement 09-May-2000
More fun by the seaside 09-May-2000
Salt water enhancement 06-May-2000