Index Thread Archive May-2000 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for May-2000Index by Author for May-2000Index by Date for May-2000   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: More fun by the seaside
Author: K2KW <K2KW@prodigy.net>
Date: 10-May-2000 03:42:00
>Seems to me there may be confusion between true seaside (on the beach, or
>M/M) and elevated cliff top locations close to the sea.

Yes, this is a common misunderstanding.

One of the key differences is the height of the vertical over effective
ground (salt water in this case). As you raise the vertical's feedpoint,
you start compressing the main lobe, and also start increasing a second
high-angle lobe. A vertical will split lobes as you raise the feedpoint in
the same manor of a Yagi - this is roughly 1 lobe for every wavelength high.

If you take a high band vertical and have it on an elevated cliff, the
antenna will have lots of nulls at useful take off angles. If the arriving
signal angle changes, you could get a lot of fading from the antenna. Low
angle gain will be good, but one of the key advantages of verticals mounted
right at sea level is that you get one big fat lobe which helps to reduce
fading, and you get good signals from all arriving angles.

Mounting a vertical on a ship could also be similar mounting it on a cliff,
but it is very hard to determine where ground really is on a ship :)

We did some modeling for one of the original 4M1X locations, and found that
a slightly elevated site (50') that was set a little back from the beach
(150') could actually be OK on the low bands 80/160. Its all a function of
wavelength from the water, and effective height in terms of wavelength. One
of the interesting things that we noticed in the modeling was that the HIGH
angles were effected more than the low angles in this example. It was a bit
surprising, but N6BV dug into it, and said it makes sense. (right now its
1:30 AM, and I cant remember the theory behind it).

Anyway, gotta run. N6BT and I were just talking a few days ago that we
need to finish some of the vertical testing we started a few years ago (you
can find some of it on my web site), and have already outlined some tests to
further validate vertical stuff.

73, Kenny K2KW

* 10-May-2000 K2KW
09-May-2000 barry kirkwood
This Author (May-2000)
  Subject   Date
Anecdotal Info & Salt Water Enhancement 09-May-2000
* More fun by the seaside 10-May-2000
Salt water enhancement 01-May-2000