Index Thread Archive May-2000 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for May-2000Index by Author for May-2000Index by Date for May-2000   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: Anecdotal Info & Salt Water Enhancement
Author: wa4dou@juno.com <wa4dou@juno.com>
Date: 11-May-2000 18:56:33
Kenny,
No, i'm not confused about the difference between horizontal and
vertical polarization. My "anecdotal stories" are just that, and i make
no apologies for them. I cannot offer scientific data to prove anything,
since its the embodiment of much operating experience. I am well versed
in the methodology of "scientific data " collection. My stories weren't
even directed to you anyway, since you are of the mindset that all
knowable propagation and antenna radiation phenomonon are already
embodied in NEC-4.Since i outlined a number of antennas that were both
vertically and horizontally polarized, and some containing both
polarizations, it ought to be clear that i am of the opinion that
propagation is better at the seashore, and on the water, using either.
1) the horizon is clear and unfettered. There is nothing to attenuate
the radiated signal, except the inverse square law of propagation.
2) the excellent conductivity of salt water leads to development of the
lowest possible angle of radiation for both polarizations.
3) it is entirely possible that an antenna at some height above ground,
over sand, appears to be even higher than the height above ground level.,
dependent on the salt content, moisture index, water table, soil
composition, etc, to be found in the ground under the antenna.
4) there may be even more influences at work than i realize.

I've lived at the seashore; on an island; in the mountains of Northern
Arizona; in the great S.W. desert; in the coastal plains and Piedmont
regions of N.C., etc. I've had some good antennas and some "dogs." I've
had an opportunity to see propagation in a number of settings. I remain
unconvinced that NEC-4 is the "be all" and "end all" as regards this
subject. Much more remains to be learned. Until human beings know it all,
NEC whatever, will not be able to accurately reflect all "real world"
conditions.
73 Roy Lincoln WA4DOU
On Tue, 9 May 2000 15:27:46 -0700 "K2KW" <K2KW@prodigy.net> writes:
> I think that Roy, WA4DOU is a little confused what antennas he was
> quoting
> in his reply. Most of the situations he references were actually or
> likely
> using verticals...
>
> First off, anecdotal stories are just that, anecdotal. You need to
> be a
> little more
> convincing to dispute what models like NEC-4 are saying. Also, you
> also
> need to objectively examine some of the statements you just made...
>
> >Antennas were low dipoles(20-30 ft. high) and a windom
> > 20 ft. high at one end and 35 ft. high at the other. My output
> power was
> > about 15-30 watts on 10-20 meters. I worked piles of dx, on cw,
>
> So what's your point? I was recently at N6BT's house using a 100w
> GE light
> bulb on 10m, and we were able to work DX too. By just going by
> anecdotal
> information, I could make the following claims:
>
> * miniature antennas are excellent performers
> * The antenna only needs to be 3' high
> * 100w will work all the DX I can hear (which isn't much on a light
> bulb)
>
> Obviously, I would be highly misinformed and misled by my
> observations based
> on the limited experience of using the light bulb, regardless of how
> well I
> thought it "worked". What is missing is a reliable reference with
> which to
> compare my observations.
>
> >i found
> > the propagation to be excellent, anywhere i went. My power output
> was 100
> > watts and my antennas were either verticals or sloping dipoles.
>
> Huh? Thank you for supporting that vertically polarized antennas
> over salt
> water are good antennas. (BTW, sloping dipoles have a large
> vertical
> polarization component).
>
> > In 1932 Bell Labs conducted test to determine where to locate
> shore
> > stations for communicating with ships at sea. These tests were
> conducted
> > in the 66 and 33 meter bands, under both day and night
> conditions.They
> > reported" attenuation of 8 db to 12 db is observed at a distance
> of one
> > mile inland for both 33 and 66 meter transmissions."
>
> What types of antennas were used? There is not enough info given
> here to
> draw any reliable conclusions. If they were verticals, then it
> makes
> sense (see below comment).
>
> > reminded me that when i was a kid and broadcast band dx'ing, i
> logged
> > WAPE in Jacksonville ,Fl. while living in Morehead City, N.C. In
> the 60's
> [...]

11-May-2000 wa4dou@juno.com
* 11-May-2000 wa4dou@juno.com
09-May-2000 barry kirkwood
09-May-2000 K2KW
This Author (May-2000)
  Subject   Date
Anecdotal Info & Salt Water Enhancement 11-May-2000
* Anecdotal Info & Salt Water Enhancement 11-May-2000
Force 12 balun 30-May-2000
Salt water enhancement 06-May-2000