Index Thread Archive May-2000 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for May-2000Index by Author for May-2000Index by Date for May-2000   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: C-31XR 15-Meter SWR Measurements
Author: Hank Phillips <aa4hp@titustek.com>
Date: 15-May-2000 11:42:05
I guess from the questions coming back, this isn't a very common
problem. But I'll try to answer given the instrumentation limits (i.e. no
anemometer).

When the wind is perfectly calm, I measure 1.4:1 on the Nye Viking meter in
the shack on 21.300. At wind speeds under 20 MPH (my best guess), the SWR
varies from 1.2:1 to 2.2:1 with a period of 2 to 3 seconds which
corresponds directly with the observed element motion and spacing variation
of the driven elements (15/20 meter elements). On really windy days, it's
worse in direct proportion to the wind speed.

Because of the horrendous lightning in Florida, I don't play with antennas
much in the rain.

The antenna is essentially flat at 21.150 , rising to about 3:1 at 21.450
and 1.3:1 at 21.000. We made no attempt to trim elements at install time,
just played with the parallel wire feed lines and hairpin coil to minimize
SWR on 15 and 20. Other bands are not affected by wind.

Tnx es 73,

Hank
AA4HP

15-May-2000 JBaumgarte@aol.com
15-May-2000 Phil Howlett
15-May-2000 Hank Phillips
15-May-2000 Jan Fisher
* 15-May-2000 Hank Phillips
This Author (May-2000)
  Subject   Date
C-31XR 15 Meter SWR 15-May-2000
C-31XR 15-Meter SWR Measurements 15-May-2000
* C-31XR 15-Meter SWR Measurements 15-May-2000