Index Thread Archive May-2000 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for May-2000Index by Author for May-2000Index by Date for May-2000   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: C3SS Questions: Addendum Help
Author: Roger Doran <doran@bigfoot.com>
Date: 21-May-2000 17:15:13
I bottom post.

> > "Guy Olinger, K2AV" wrote:
> > >
> > > Don't bother to measure anything with the antenna horizontal at 6 feet.
> > > You will get weird readings. About the only thing you can check reliably
> > > there is whether your coax is really hooked to the driven element, or if
> > > your balun is open-circuited.
> > >
> > > For an antenna that small, some have suspended it from a tree, or rope
> > > between trees, pointing up, with the reflector closest to ground to
> > > check out SWR before putting it up. But don't lay the reflector on the
> > > ground. Get it up six plus feet.
> > >
> > > Then check it out UNDER POWER using a regular swr bridge. (A huge amount
> > > of stuff in Tower Talk archives about the little analyzers being
> > > bothered by either BC interference or odd coupling to the coax shield.)
> > >
> > > If you mount a beam directly over a house on a tripod, you may get some
> > > odd readings you didn't get when you had the beam hung up for checking.
> > > The house has a lot of wire which may couple depending on how far above
> > > the roof it is, and move the SWR around.
> > >
> > > But remember: SWR does NOT equal performance. SWR does NOT equal
> > > pattern. If it's a little off on swr on your tripod, but the pattern is
> > > good, either ignore it if your transmitter loads it, or use a tuner. If
> > > SWR is WAY off, you have a problem
> > >
> > > Good Luck!
> > >
> > > - - . . . . . . - - . . . . - - . . - . .
> > >
> > > 73, Guy
> > > k2av@contesting.com
> > > Apex, NC, USA

This was the original message:

****** I totally understand that VSWR measurements cannot be made in
this position and Guy's suggestions can be followed without problems.

> > Other concerns were that I found one element drilled incorrectly- The B
> > side was fine, but the A side the tip didn't match and the length was
> > off. This was element 2- the 15 meter reflector- the "A" tip was 1/2 and
> > inch off and so was the .500" inch section and as I said the "B" side
> > was fine.
> > Also the studs on the "A" side of Element 1 are rotated 10 to 15 degrees
> > counter-clockwise and the same thing on Element 6, but on the "B" side.
> > Other than that, all was fine - am going to call and see if Tech can
> > supply any info about the studs and element 2's problem.

******* Here, I understand Chuck Lewis's comments about the
measurements. The elements measure -Exactly as specified! Hooray and
congrats to Force 12!
Really neat.

*******MY MAIN CONCERN is here:
Just found that if I set the feedpoints on Elements 1 and 6 at 45
degrees as mentioned on page 11-item 7b, and shown on the Feedpoint
Detail page; that the loading wires then also shift to 45 degrees off
horizontal- is that right? I thought the loading devices should be
horizontal.
Again, thanks for the quick response. Oh yes- the studs that are
Slightly off horizontal have the markings lined up such as >< on the
fiberglass.

* 21-May-2000 Roger Doran
This Author (May-2000)
  Subject   Date
C3SS Question 24-May-2000
C3SS Questions 21-May-2000
C3SS Questions 21-May-2000
C3SS Questions 21-May-2000
* C3SS Questions: Addendum Help 21-May-2000