Index Thread Archive Jun-2000 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Jun-2000Index by Author for Jun-2000Index by Date for Jun-2000   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: C3E and WPX CW
Author: Dale L Martin <kg5u@hal-pc.org>
Date: 02-Jun-2000 00:25:41

For a number of years, I had a TH6 at 70'. After some storm damage, I
replaced it with the antenna I had mounted 30' below it, a Cushcraft A3.
After a couple of lightning strikes (I've still got an element tip from it
with a 3/8" hole burned in aluminum tubing...cool!), I replaced it with an
A3S, refurbished it and remounted it at 40'. Then, I lucked out on a great
deal on a C3. I bought the E add-on and put it up.

While I've used it in a couple of contests since it's installation, I have
to say that the CW WPX contest was particularly interesting. Logic tells us
that low-number element beams have a pretty broad beamwidth. But, I was
audibly detecting signal strength changes on what seemed to be as little as
15 degree (and maybe even less) changes in the beam heading. For me,
operating QRP, those little changes were enough to make the difference
between being heard or not being heard by the distant stations. If I was
pointing at Great Britain and heard OH0R, for instance, I could move the
beam from 45 degrees to 30 degrees and hear OH0R get louder and know I, too,
was getting louder (read: becoming readable). While this is really
something I expect from a beam, I just felt that what I was hearing was
pretty dramatic.

I don't recall experiencing this so much with the TH6 or the A3's.

Very nice.

73,
Dale L. Martin, KG5U
kg5u@hal-pc.org