Index Thread Archive Jun-2000 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Jun-2000Index by Author for Jun-2000Index by Date for Jun-2000   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: "N" elements interaction
Author: Guy K2AV Olinger <k2av@contesting.com>
Date: 14-Jun-2000 16:58:38
Having spent time repairing a 7-2 when I multiop'd at W4KXV, a lot of things are different betwen a 7-2 and an N element based 40 meter yagi.

1) There is no folding near the center of the N element. Folding starts six feet from the boom and goes OUT, not IN.
2) The 7-2 design put the lossiest part of the element (the linear loading) in the highest current place on the antenna (center feedpoint outward and back). The high current center 12 feet of an N element uses the largest diameter portion (least lossy portion) of the element.
3) N element is based on an 85% of full size rule. The 7-2 elements were quite shorter.
4) N folded elements are 1/4 solid rod. The 7-2 LL was number 10 or 8 aluminum wire if I recall correctly.
5) The N folded loading is spaced something over 6 inches apart. The 7-2 had one inch spacing.
6) The 7-2 had these plastic spacers riveted to the boom that kept breaking off with ice and had to be replaced. Nothing like these on the N elements.
7) The 7-2 out-of-band resonances were anyone's guess. The N element particulars have been chosen to enable stacking close to tribanders.
8) The 7-2 was old technology, and done without use of any of the modern design aids. The N elements are computer designed and field validated. The N elements are what I would term a "third generation" linear loading element design, the 7-2's LL being first generation.

On Tue, 13 Jun 2000 23:10:23 +0200, you wrote:

>In stacking with a tribander/WARC beam, with which ham bands do I except
>the "N" elements of the new 40 meter yagis to interact with? Remember
>seeing somewhere 18 Mhz mentioned. Is that all? Anyone having experince
>with e g EF-240N and C3? Sorry if this shave been covered earlier.
>What differs the EF-240N from the old Hy-Gain 7-2? Looks "very similar".
>
>Thanks for good reflector!
>73 de Kari/SM0HRP

73, Guy
k2av@contesting.com
Apex, NC, USA

* 14-Jun-2000 Guy K2AV Olinger
13-Jun-2000 Kari Gustafsson
This Author (Jun-2000)
  Subject   Date
* "N" elements interaction 14-Jun-2000
FORCE12 C31 / WARC antenna stacking 01-Jun-2000