Index Thread Archive Jun-2000 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Jun-2000Index by Author for Jun-2000Index by Date for Jun-2000   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: !0 meter VSWR
Author: Natan Huffman <nhuffman@twcny.rr.com>
Date: 17-Jun-2000 12:43:06
Dear Friends,

Thanks to a tip from a user, we have identified a potential source of
abnormal VSWR on 10 meters.

I have had several installations that had high VSWR on 10 meters,
particularly on the high part of the band. The problem was not model
dependent, nor did it seem to be environment dependent and the VSWR often
changed independent of power used.

This last week I was working with a customer who is using a (C3E) that had
high VSWR on 10 meters. The customer reported he eliminated the problem by
removing a low-pass filter in the line. Once the LP filter was gone, the
VSWR behaved per specification.

We (Tom and I) thought about this and swept a convenient LP commercial
filter and was not surprised to find the filter introducing an impedance
anomaly AND a significant amount of attenuation well into the 10 meter band!

Five out of five installations experiencing this high 10 meter VSWR problem
fixed the problem by removing the LP filter! All of the problem filters
were of the same manufacturer.

So, if you don't think things are quite right on 10 meters, look at your use
of a LP filter as a very possible problem initiator.

73

Natan W6XR
Force 12 East
Ithaca, NY