Index Thread Archive Jun-2000 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Jun-2000Index by Author for Jun-2000Index by Date for Jun-2000   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: !0 meter VSWR
Author: Rick Lehman <rlehman@gate.net>
Date: 18-Jun-2000 06:12:19
I have a C19XR with a high VSWR (when measured at the transmitter end of the
coax) on 10 meters and do not use an LP filter. It was suggested by force
12 that I add about 5 feet of coax. I did that and to my amazement it
worked. I have been trying to understand why this would work and have not
yet come up with a technical explanation (Force 12 cannot explain it
either). With an ideal line, the length of coax should not make a
difference on the VSWR seen at the transmitter. It instead would only
affect the phase angle from a Smith Chart standpoint. From a real world
lossy line standpoint, 5 feet of coax is not long enough to cause any
appreciable loss or effect on the VSWR. My first thought was that the force
12 balun was bad as the symptoms suggest that the coax was functioning as
part of the antenna. However, I removed the 5 feet of coax, and replaced
the balun with a current balun from Hygain. The results were the same as
with the force 12 balun... Therefore I have ruled out this possibility. My
coax is new, so I am for the time being ruling out this possibility. The
antenna seems to work fine on 10 meters, but I am bothered that I do not
understand this phenomena. Any ideas?

Rick WB4EJC
Coconut Creek, Florida

18-Jun-2000 Rick Lehman