Index Thread Archive Jun-2000 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Jun-2000Index by Author for Jun-2000Index by Date for Jun-2000   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: !0 meter VSWR
Author: Jeff Stai KQ6VQ <jstai@home.com>
Date: 18-Jun-2000 11:09:45

hi Rick - when I read Natan's reply, my first reaction was: it wasn't
the filter, they probably also removed a coax jumper too, and that also did
the trick.

I have a similar issue with my JRC JST245 xcvr, which is a wonderful radio,
but on 6m looking into a yagi antenna the SWR will shoot off the scale for
no apparent reason. If you hook up the antenna analyzer, it shows no
problem. If you put the Bird wattmeter in line, the problem goes away!
I finally just left the Bird in line so I could continue operating... then
one day the problem returned... so I remove the Bird and the problem
goes away!

My theory, based on this observation and on fuzzy memories of classes taken
20 years ago, is: your coax is not an ideal transmission line, but rather is
really a bundle of distributed and lumped capacitances and inductances that
do tend to act as an ideal transmission line to a first approximation.

The overall circuit that is your xcvr final output, plus your coax, plus
your antenna, has resonances and Q factors. What may be happening is that
one of these resonances is setting up an oscillation in your finals. (No,
I have no idea what the feedback path is that creates the oscillator..).

By changing the length of your coax, you change the resonances of this
circuit, and therefore remove the oscillation.

I have a friend who says he has seen this oscillation in his JRC rig. I have
never heard of it happening in other rigs, but it may be a possibility.

I expect that the above is not necessarily correct, but may serve as a
starting point for discussion - I stand ready to be corrected!-)

73 - vq

--
jeff stai
KQ6VQ DM13