Index Thread Archive Jul-2000 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Jul-2000Index by Author for Jul-2000Index by Date for Jul-2000   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: C3 over Cushcraft A4
Author: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: 08-Jul-2000 20:28:37
At 09:20 PM 7/8/00 -0400, wa4dou@juno.com wrote:
>Hi Len,
> I doubt that the C3 represents more than a slight improvement over what
>you already have. I would recommend the C19XR as the logical step up for
>you. I have the C3SS and i'm happy with it. If i had more rotator(i only
>have a Yaesu 450A) i'd opt for a C19XR myself.

I just gotta disagree with Roy here. In the N0AX/K7LXC tribander tests,
the C-3 rated above all the small tribanders tested and all but 2 of the
big ones. While the test protocol isn't perfect it's about the only
concrete info we have, and it pretty clearly demonstrates that the C-3 will
wax any trapped tribander except maybe the KT-34XA. Not to revive an old
argument, but I bet you can hear the improvement over an A4, even in casual
operation.

That being said, if you can handle the wind area, weight and cost of the
C19, why not... it is clearly better yet! A 2-element yagi (or 3 of them,
like the C-3), will not have either the gain or (particularly) the F/B
ratio of an antenna with 3 or more elements per band, with a comparable
element spacing (longer effective boom length).

73, Pete Smith N4ZR

The World Contest Station Database
is back up and running at
http://www.qsl.net/n4zr

10-Jul-2000 Natan Huffman
09-Jul-2000 John Poland
08-Jul-2000 Barry Kirkwood
08-Jul-2000 Jason Hissong
* 08-Jul-2000 Pete Smith
08-Jul-2000 wa4dou@juno.com
08-Jul-2000 WA9ALS - John
08-Jul-2000 leon0@attglobal.net
This Author (Jul-2000)
  Subject   Date
* C3 over Cushcraft A4 08-Jul-2000
C3 vs C19XR 10-Jul-2000
C3 vs C3s or C3ss 12-Jul-2000
create/emoto 24-Jul-2000
Force 12 low profile crank up towers 13-Jul-2000
News from Bencher 16-Jul-2000
W5DV asks 24-Jul-2000