Index Thread Archive Jul-2000 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Jul-2000Index by Author for Jul-2000Index by Date for Jul-2000   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: C3 vs C19XR
Author: dj2001@isd.net <dj2001@isd.net>
Date: 10-Jul-2000 04:00:58

I hope you dont mind me asking but I've been thinking of going with
the C3E/D, however the C19 as you say is about the same size as the
C3 with a little better numbers however it is 58 lbs with a quite a
bit larger wind load. I'm using a Tri-ex W51, its about 20 years old
now and I wonder if the C19 would be a bit heavy for it. Also the
rotator I'm using is a Ham IV, I have only a UHF/VHF dual band
vertical on the tower. My HF antenna on the tower now which would be
replaced by the C3 or C19 is a Telrex TB-5, (about the same size as
the C19). Is the performance difference between the C19 and the
C3E/D that great, should I still consider the C19 or am I better of
with the C3, which is nice and light compaired with what I have now.
I am also considering the cost of the two antennas, the C19 already
comes with a 100 mph rating where the C3 it must be added with the D
option. My intuition says get the C19 because of better F/B but my
practical side says get the C3E/D because its lighter, less wind
load, covers extra bands, and if I'm reading the specs correctly the
performance of the C3 is not that much less than the C19, would I
see/hear the difference?

Dale J.
K9VUJ

At 20:12 -0400 07/09/2000, K7QZ@aol.com wrote:
>Hi Len:
>
>Read your post on the Force 12 list serve. Just wanted to add an additional
>thought for you. As you know, the C3 has performance on 12 and 17 m (with a
>tuner of course) whereas the C19XR is a dedicated tribander. The antennas
>are about the same size, so it may come down to whether or not you have
>interest in working the warc bands. The C4E might be an option also, this
>ant gives you 10, 12, 15, 17, 20 and 40 m on one boom- C4E gain on 10 m is a
>little better than the C3 because of the additional 10 m element. I went
>with a C4E because my neighborhood would not let me stack a 40 m beam above a
>C3 or C19XR. Lastly, I have used an A4 and the F12 (in my opinion) is a more
>consistent and better performer.
>
>Hope this helps!
>
>73 de Mike K7QZ
>
><<Hello I want to replace a Cushcraft A4 with the C3 or the C19XR
>was wondering if the C3 has that much more gain over the A4 also would
>the C19XR be worth it over the C3?
>
>Thanks for reading and any info.
>
>Len WA7ZXZ>>

10-Jul-2000 Natan Huffman