Index Thread Archive Jul-2000 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Jul-2000Index by Author for Jul-2000Index by Date for Jul-2000   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: C3 vs C19XR
Author: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: 10-Jul-2000 06:01:00
At 04:03 AM 7/10/00 -0500, K9VUJ wrote:
My intuition says get the C19 because of better F/B but my
>practical side says get the C3E/D because its lighter, less wind
>load, covers extra bands, and if I'm reading the specs correctly the
>performance of the C3 is not that much less than the C19, would I
>see/hear the difference?

I'm pretty confident you will hear the difference between either antenna
and your TB-5. As to hearing the difference between them, I think the only
thing you would hear is the better F/B of the C19, and that not all the
time. For my purposes, as a contester, the C3's lower F/B is often an
advantage, because I can pick up Caribbean multipliers off the back without
having to turn the antenna, and when I'm running Europe it's harder for
somebody to my Southwest to claim he never heard me, drop in on top of me
and start calling CQ.

I, too, like the light weight of the C-3, because I've never been very
strong and as I get older wrassling a 50-75 lb antenna up on the tower gets
less and less appealing!

73, Pete Smith N4ZR

The World Contest Station Database
is back up and running at
http://www.qsl.net/n4zr

10-Jul-2000 Natan Huffman
10-Jul-2000 John VE1JS Scott
* 10-Jul-2000 Pete Smith
10-Jul-2000 dj2001@isd.net
09-Jul-2000 K7QZ@aol.com
This Author (Jul-2000)
  Subject   Date
C3 over Cushcraft A4 08-Jul-2000
* C3 vs C19XR 10-Jul-2000
C3 vs C3s or C3ss 12-Jul-2000
create/emoto 24-Jul-2000
Force 12 low profile crank up towers 13-Jul-2000
News from Bencher 16-Jul-2000
W5DV asks 24-Jul-2000