Index Thread Archive Jul-2000 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Jul-2000Index by Author for Jul-2000Index by Date for Jul-2000   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: C3 over Cushcraft A4
Author: Natan Huffman <nhuffman@twcny.rr.com>
Date: 10-Jul-2000 11:07:19
Leon,

Re: improvement of a C-3 over an A-4

Yes, the C-3 is an impressive step up compared to a trapped antenna such as
the one on
question. Most everyone can come to that conclusion by going through a few
logical
steps:
a) the trapped tribander has minimal elements and fixed element
positions, so the
location of each element that contains traps is a compromise
b) the feedpoint of the trapped antenna is 50 ohms on all 3 bands. Anyone
who has
done computer modeling can tell you that moving a Yagi up to 50 ohms
requires some
effort and to have all 3, with compromised element positions is a real clue
that there
is loss in the antenna (remember how well a dummy load produces a 50 ohm
load.) One of the 3 bands can be set for 50 ohms (such as 10 mtrs), but
the others are moved up to 50 ohms using loss. This was first noted to me
many years ago
by Brian, K6STI, who wrote all that fine modeling software (AO/YO).
c) having measured the trapped antenna in question, as well as many
others, is how we
determined the minimum gain level for a higher-performing antenna. It was
obvious that a
2-element Yagi would easily surpass the trapped antennas and the result is
the C-3 and
subsequent variants of the basic design. The measurements were made by an
outside
consultant and measured several wavelengths and at 12-15 degrees in the main
lobe of the
antenna (not at zero degrees). A full size dipole was substituted before and
after each
test, at the same height, same location, same coax. Each test was performed
more than
once and the spectrum analyzer was at 2dB per division (consultant showed us
the
calibration information).
d) the comments from those who have changed to the C-3, or any of the
C-series, from
trapped antennas are consistent - many have said that they no longer need to
use their
amplifier. Have dozens of written letters and e-mails about this. Sure,
these are
anecdotal remarks; however, they are always the same, over years, in all
sorts of
locations and environments and track with other test data.

Sometimes, people think that we build non-trapped antennas just to be
different. The
fact is that we performed the trapped antenna testing to determine how to
build a better
antenna. If a higher performance Yagi could be done using traps, that was
fine. If it
meant using an LPDA design, that would be fine, too. These technologies were
already
available and time to market would be very quick. However, the
multi-monoband Yagi was
the right answer and it took years of effort to perfect it: the overlay and
forward
stagger techniques, plus more years to have the lossless open sleeve feed
system
patented.

If you move up to the C-3, you will notice how alive the band sounds. If you
like 10
mtrs, use the C-3E. I just put back up C-3 #1 (1993), which is also C-3E #1
(1997). It
has been a long term test antenna, using half of the rivets as normal and
only 1 in the
tips. No mechanical problems at all and the PVC is also fine, even after
baking in the
100 degree and higher sun here for the past 2+ years. As a standard 80 mph
design, it
has survived 5 storms of >100 mph. It has been taken apart several times,
moved and
re-installed with no difficulties at all. It was on the air in the IARU/WRTC
this past
weekend by K2KW who operated part-time, mainly looking for WRTC stations.
Don't have the
exact figures, but I believe he worked 51 individual WRTC stations and more
than 110
total band/mode WRTC stations. I never hesitate to recommend it, or a stack
of them, to
a serious contester.

The C-19XR does have more gain and excellent F/B; however, it is also more
windload and
20+ pounds heavier. The C-19XR is aimed at only 20-15-10. The C-3 also has
some gain on
17 & 12, so it is more versatile, plus you can add 40 mtrs to it.

Finally, you should review the testing done last year by Ward Silver and
Steve Morris. These two gentlemen tested most of the contemporary
tribanders and the results indicate some of the trapped designs have little
or no gain over a dipole. You can obtain this report from Champion Radio
Products at 888 833 3104

I use both the C3E and the C19XR at my home station, therefore I'm very
familiar with these two antennas. Furthermore, six years ago, I conducted
a three month test with a C3 on one tower and a new A4S on my other tower.
Compiled the data for six weeks and then reversed the two antennas. The
final results using A/B type switching were overwhelmingly in favor of the
C3 on all bands, seeing vast differences in favor of the C3. Finally I
switched out the A4S with a rotating 20 meter dipole and found that the
differences between the C3 and the A4S were repeated using the dipole!

73

Natan W6XR
Force 12 East
Ithaca, NY