Index Thread Archive Jul-2000 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Jul-2000Index by Author for Jul-2000Index by Date for Jul-2000   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: Stacking C3SS with other antennas
Author: DavidC <eDoc@netzero.net>
Date: 10-Jul-2000 15:18:27
Dear Pete & Guy:

Sure appreciate your efforts to get me pointed in the right
direction! And my antennas too! ;-)

I currently own a T2X, a HD-73, and a lightweight tv rotator.
I am trying to avoid using them in a "mission-critical" application.
The T2X is what I plan to sell or swap towards C3SS number
one. A Ham owes me money and I will ask him to pay up by
purchasing my second C3SS.

The Rohn 45 is here ready to go up as is the Phillystran -- so
no guy-wire interaction issues.

My goal is to have the main antennas fixed in the directions I
will most likely to need for emergency and missionary communications.
Arrival angles are also a consideration, together with direction.

The top beam would assure solid communications to Africa and
still be somewhat useful towards Europe, Eastern Europe and Asia.

A second beam a little lower would still be effective into TX,
the West Coast, and beyond.

I was worried that the D4 would be too much up near the top but
really wanted it close to 70 feet for improved 40m effectiveness! I will
use the Mosley to help pay for the first C3SS and rely on the D4 to
cover the Caribbean, Central and So. America, and the central US, as
well as down-under to the Aussies and New Zealanders. My NVIS
and low-dipole will have to handle East-West on 40m.

So, a C3SS or C3S at 78 feet, the D4 at 76 feet and the second
C3SS or C3S at 70 feet is acceptable? Or do I need to get the lower
C3SS (or whatever) even further down?

This provides for DX arrival angles and the D4 will probably be
broad enough to capture some lower stuff as well. I can always get
a third C3SS/C3S and put it at 40 feet on an arm and point it South.
I could use the HD-73 to turn it ... should that be necessary.

I can also use the long low dipole for stuff the beams don't hear
due to angles and direction. And I have room for a vertical should
such be dictated.

The Comet seems to be irrelevant except as it increases the stress on
the mast -- I can reinforce the mast with a solid 12 foot inner sleeve with
6 feet above and below the tower top if that will make a significant
difference.

This all sounds like a plan! The separation of the top two beams
seems the only sticking point.

- Thanks! & 73, DavidC K1YP in Hudson, FL

10-Jul-2000 DavidC
10-Jul-2000 Guy K2AV Olinger
* 10-Jul-2000 DavidC
10-Jul-2000 Guy K2AV Olinger
10-Jul-2000 DavidC
10-Jul-2000 Guy K2AV Olinger
10-Jul-2000 DavidC
This Author (Jul-2000)
  Subject   Date
Stacking C3SS with other antennas 10-Jul-2000