Index Thread Archive Jul-2000 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Jul-2000Index by Author for Jul-2000Index by Date for Jul-2000   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: Anybody replaced a Sommer beam?
Author: Wes Cosand <wz7i@arrl.net>
Date: 11-Jul-2000 20:53:50
Folks:

During a recent relocation across the country, I took down one of the 12
element DJ2UT Sommer beams on a 24 foot boom which had been at the top of a
64' Trylon tower. I had been satisfied with the station --for my CW and
Amtor DX rag chewing it gave me reliable propagation when others had
trouble. I really liked the robust construction and the simplicity of
having all seven bands, 40m through 10m, on a single feedline. The design
shares a lack of traps with the F12 beams but appears to have been
developed quite empirically. The four element 20m log cell gave reasonable
gain with broad bandwith, the directivity was a pleasure to have on the
WARC bands (although the F/B on 30M was very limited), but I never got it
to perform correctly on 40M.

Reviews of the Sommer beams in the ham literature are only cursory with
little quantitative data. Anyone replace one of these with another beam
such as the F12 for which there is comparative data?

40M and the WARC bands are quite important to me. DJ2UT says not to stack
his beams with a 40M beam but I was thinking of removing the 30M/40M
additions and stacking with one of the new 240N beams. I would prefer to
stack it with the EF240/230 but I assume I would have much greater
interaction problems at something like 10' separation. The new tower would
put the lower antenna at 80'.

Anyone have comments? A conservatively engineered station that stays up
and is always ready to go with little maintenance is frankly more important
to me than F/B and dBd.

Wes, WZ7I/3
_____________________
Wes Cosand, PhD
6299 Durham Rd; Rt 413
PO Box 349
Pipersville, PA 18947-0349
Email: wz7i@arrl.net
Phone: 215-766-3842
FAX: 215-766-3843

* 11-Jul-2000 Wes Cosand
This Author (Jul-2000)
  Subject   Date
* Anybody replaced a Sommer beam? 11-Jul-2000