Index Thread Archive Jul-2000 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Jul-2000Index by Author for Jul-2000Index by Date for Jul-2000   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: Force 12 low profile crank up towers
Author: Eric Pearson <epearson@ezylink.com>
Date: 13-Jul-2000 21:10:11
It could be that whatever lubricant was on it when it left the
factory has worn off. The cordless drill was also new last fall
and hasn't been used for anything else. And when I use an AC powered
drill I can tell it is taking more torque especially in the last few
inches. Other factors could be friction in the winch and pulleys.
And the angle of the tower - how far off it is from vertical.

A dedicated motor would be convenient but that's another project.

73, Eric - K6EP

At 05:59 PM 7/13/00 , Pete Smith wrote:

>At 05:15 PM 7/13/00 -0700, Eric Pearson wrote:
> >This might be a good time to ask my LPT question: I've had a low
> >profile tower since last fall. I use a cordless drill to raise and
> >lower it. When I first installed it on the back of my RV I could
> >raise the tower and beam with a single charge of the battery pack.
> >Now it takes two or more battery packs. Should I lubricate the
> >tower to reduce the friction? What lubricant would be safe for the
> >plastic guides and the aluminum?
>
>I'm kinda skeptical that the aluminum-to-plastic bearing surface has
>deteriorated so much so quickly. Depending on the number of discharge
>cycles you've put the drill through, it may not be the tower at all, but
>rather the drill batteries that are losing their oomph. Since it's on an
>RV, have you thought about adapting a surplus 12V motor and gearbox to do
>the job instead, using the RV's battery?

17-Jul-2000 Eric Pearson
* 13-Jul-2000 Eric Pearson
13-Jul-2000 Pete Smith
13-Jul-2000 Eric Pearson
11-Jul-2000 Jeff Stai KQ6VQ
This Author (Jul-2000)
  Subject   Date
Force 12 low profile crank up towers 17-Jul-2000
* Force 12 low profile crank up towers 13-Jul-2000
Force 12 low profile crank up towers 13-Jul-2000