Index Thread Archive Jul-2000 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Jul-2000Index by Author for Jul-2000Index by Date for Jul-2000   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: W5DV asks
Author: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: 24-Jul-2000 19:22:38
At 06:31 PM 7/24/00 -0400, Natan Huffman wrote:
>Just received this from W5DV,
>

>Any thoughts?
>
>Natan W6XR/2
>FORCE 12 East
>Ithaca, NY
>force12@qth.com
>
>I just took delivery on C-19XR and EF-240X last week. I had planned to
>install the C-19XR at the top of the mast about 12-15 above the top of the
>90 foot tower, with the EF-240X at the bottom of the mast maybe 2 feet above
>the tower top. (A full sized rotary dipole for 30 meters will be attached
>half-way between the two, parallel to the booms.)
>
>However, I wonder if it would be better to "invert" this arrangement, such
>the tribander is the lower antenna. Weight and wind-loading for the C-19XR
>are less than for the EF-240X, although the boom is 5 feet shorter. The
>mast is a 26 foot length of galvanized steel tubing, 2 inch OD with a 7/32
>inch wall.
>
>Is there a "preferred" way to reduce mast stress, interaction between the
>antennas, etc.? Is one of these antennas more susceptible to the need for
>repairs, making it a more logical candidate for the lower mounting?
>
>Any experience or helpful thoughts out there?

I think first you need to know whether your mast is adequate. The MARC
software from Champion Radio is the easy way to solve that question.

Assuming the mast is OK, my best guess is that you should leave it as is,
with the EF-240X on the bottom. I have heard anecdotally of problems with
relatively big 40-meter antennas, like the 240X, shadowing tribanders.
Your choice of sdacing is good -- the further the better, I'd say.

73, Pete Smith N4ZR

The World Contest Station Database
is back up and running at
http://www.qsl.net/n4zr

* 24-Jul-2000 Pete Smith
24-Jul-2000 Natan Huffman
This Author (Jul-2000)
  Subject   Date
C3 over Cushcraft A4 08-Jul-2000
C3 vs C19XR 10-Jul-2000
C3 vs C3s or C3ss 12-Jul-2000
create/emoto 24-Jul-2000
Force 12 low profile crank up towers 13-Jul-2000
News from Bencher 16-Jul-2000
* W5DV asks 24-Jul-2000