Index Thread Archive Aug-2000 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Aug-2000Index by Author for Aug-2000Index by Date for Aug-2000   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: Experience with the Mag 240N
Author: Guy K2AV Olinger <k2av@contesting.com>
Date: 02-Aug-2000 12:30:45

To be really fair, particularly after reading the attached, I wonder if the writer is at all familiar with a 240N.

The Magnum 240 and it's various implementations in older multiband Magnum xx antennas *IS NOT* the same as the newer Magnum 240N. It does not use the same linear loading scheme, size reduction ratio, or mechanical schema. The linear loading does NOT wrap to center and form part of the element support scheme. The center of the element does not have any linear loading against it.

Magnum 240 experience will not apply to the original poster's question. I myself had many serious questions about the old 140 style elements, which are largely answered in the new 140N element design.

I would encourage any reader who finds this information novel to go to the web site and look at the differences for themselves.

73, Guy.

On Wed, 2 Aug 2000 08:04:17 +0200 (CEST), you wrote:

>--- "J. Parise" <w1uk@downcity.net> skrev: > I am
>considering the MAG 240N two element 40 in a
>> majestic spot
>> @110 feet. It would be approx. 8 feet above a
>> C31XR.
>>
>> Anyone have experience with this antenna?
>> Comparisons to the 40-2CD?
>>
>> Comments and opinions would be most appreciated.
>

>I have had a MAG 20/30/40 up for abt 2 years before
>moving back to Norway. It is a complicated antenna
>and one not easy to tune.
>
>I had the 40-2CD up before. That one performed better
>but was mechanically weaker. Cushcraft used piecparts
>that were not good enough for a humid and windy place
>as Denmark.
>The Mag gave no mechanical problems once it was in
>place. The performance was not as good as the other,
>particularly F/B was not very impressive. This may
>have something to do with the tuning process, which I
>found complicated.
>Lack of support from the factory did not help. This
>was when Nathan was less involved, so that part may be
>better now.
>
>73 Rag LA5HE OZ8RO JW5HE
>

>Do You Yahoo!?
>Få din egen, gratis @yahoo.no-adresse på http://mail.yahoo.no

73, Guy
k2av@contesting.com
Apex, NC, USA

* 02-Aug-2000 Guy K2AV Olinger
02-Aug-2000 =?iso-8859-1?q?ragnar=20otterstad?=
This Author (Aug-2000)
  Subject   Date
* Experience with the Mag 240N 02-Aug-2000