Index Thread Archive Aug-2000 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Aug-2000Index by Author for Aug-2000Index by Date for Aug-2000   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: Verticals
Author: Andy Faber <andrew.faber@gte.net>
Date: 03-Aug-2000 11:35:27
Steve,
I'm a bigger fan of verticals than most guys. I ran an R5 (20-10) at 15'
in height (on the roof supported by a radio shack tripod mount) for a number
of years with good success. The highlight of my R5 days was 1992 ARRL DX CW
test when, in superb propagation conditions, I worked about 900 dx contacts,
using a KW input, including running EUs on 10 from California Sunday
morning.
I have replaced it with an R7000, which I use as a second-radio backup to
my Force 12 3 element beams on a 65' tower. Comparing the two types of
antennas, I find that the beams certainly give more signal strength, but I
can usually hear dx stns with the vertical also, though weaker. A major
difference is that the beams are much quieter. The vertical picks up more
electrical noise, particularly in my location where I have power lines to
the south. Thus, with a beam pointed NE, I get very little noise on EU's,
but the vertical has a much worse s/n ratio because it also picks up the
noise from the South. So, I would suggest that a good noise blanker/dsp
noise reduction would be very helpful with the vertical.
GL with it,
73, andy, ae6y