Index Thread Archive Aug-2000 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Aug-2000Index by Author for Aug-2000Index by Date for Aug-2000   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: Hairpin adjustment
Author: force12e <force12e@lightlink.com>
Date: 11-Aug-2000 10:48:43
Dear Friends,

In many of our designs we use a hairpin matching device (coil) across the
feed point. This coil is used to introduce enough "L" to increase the
impedance to a value of 50 ohms so as to match 50 ohm coaxial cable. We use
this matching technique on most all our 30 through 160 meter designs and on
some of our 20 through 10 meter designs also.

The hairpin, or coil, has little if anything to do with establishing the
resonance of the antenna. The effect on resonance is greater at 160 meters,
but even there the hairpin has minimal effect on the resonance (as indicated
by a dip in VSWR.)

Adjustment of the coil, by changing the spacing between turns, will change
the feedpoint impedance certainly, however, adjustment will not change
resonance significantly. If you need to move the resonance of a driven
element, don't plan on using the hairpin coil to accomplish that objective.

73

Natan W6XR
Force 12 East
Ithaca, NY
FN12sk
force12@qth.com

* 11-Aug-2000 force12e
This Author (Aug-2000)
  Subject   Date
Assistance for Force12Talk 02-Aug-2000
C39XR 01-Aug-2000
C4XL and 10m Reflector 24-Aug-2000
Canadian Dealer 02-Aug-2000
EF180 series 08-Aug-2000
* Hairpin adjustment 11-Aug-2000
Mag 240N 01-Aug-2000
News Flash 10-Aug-2000
Response 03-Aug-2000
Tango 224 New product announcement 10-Aug-2000
testing 24-Aug-2000
Vertical/antenna questions 04-Aug-2000