Index Thread Archive Aug-2000 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Aug-2000Index by Author for Aug-2000Index by Date for Aug-2000   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: Isolated elements
Author: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: 31-Aug-2000 22:12:29
At 11:11 AM 9/1/00 +1200, Barry Kirkwood wrote:
>Hello Force 12ers,
>Am interested in this. Have had one reply saying that bonding braid of coax
>to boom upstream from balun works OK. Any other opinions/experiences?
>Would expect this to reduce rain/snow static.
>Alternatives might be to use high value resistors from DE feed to boom, or
>RF chokes?

My antenna switch has 1.5 megohm resistors from center to ground on each of
the antennas -- and I still get really bad rain static from some (by no
means all) rain and snowstorms. It seems as if some have more charge than
others, and just the transfer from the raindrops to the antenna is enough
to generate that nice steady roar.

73, Pete Smith N4ZR

The World Contest Station Database
is back up and running at