Index Thread Archive Sep-2000 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Sep-2000Index by Author for Sep-2000Index by Date for Sep-2000   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: Force12 Braid grounding
Author: Ken Hirschberg <calav@flash.net>
Date: 03-Sep-2000 11:23:52
Hello Pete, et al -

Well, you're right; most antenna stuff has been around for about 50 years,
including antenna wire specifically designed to reduce precipitation static
by means of thick insulation.(e.g. Dayton aircraft products)

Look at the ADF sense and HF commo wire antennas on military aircraft for
examples.

The instruction manuals for CAL-AV's HF antennas (which will be posted on
the web in about 2 weeks) recommend painting the antennas for several
reasons, and state that a small improvement in precipitation static noise may
be experienced as a result of painting.

Regards, Ken K6HPX

Pete Smith wrote:

> Naw, Guy ... fact is, most antenna stuff has been around for 50 years or
> more -- if insulation caused any measurable improvement in handling of
> precip static, it WOULD have been discovered -- it's too obvious.
>
> If you want to have a fancy paint option, I'd suggest hydrophobic paint -
> at a cost of about $90/gallon, it sheds water before ice can form.
> Orignally ddesigned for radomes in the Aleutians!
>
> 73, Pete Smith N4ZR
>
> Contesting is ... Extreme Radio
>
> The World Contest Station Database
> is back up and running at