Index Thread Archive Sep-2000 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Sep-2000Index by Author for Sep-2000Index by Date for Sep-2000   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: raising an antenna
Author: KI7WX@aol.com <KI7WX@aol.com>
Date: 07-Sep-2000 08:16:04

0) Pay a pro to do it. If you aren't comfortable with a big yagi project find someone that is and have them do it. You can learn from the experience as well. People do get hurt trying to erect antennas and if you aren't comfortable and informed your day can be ruined rather quickly.

1) Tram it up. For discussions on tramming search the towertalk@contesting.com archive. There are a few web pictorials out there and IIRC N3RR sells a "how to" video (I've never seen it though). Best way to learn how to tram is to find someone who knows how to do it and learn from them. It's easy once you know a couple of tricks *and* if you have enough space to set it up properly.

2) Drop the guys and haul it up the side. If you have a free standing tower you can always go right up the side to start with. Do not do this on a guyed tower unless you know what you are doing. I've used this method on towers in the 40-50 foot range with small to medium beams but wouldn't do it myself for larger or heavier structures. Professionals can raise the largest of beams on big towers with this sort of technique.

3) Build the antenna on the tower. Kind of a pain in the arse, but not horrible for medium size antennas (I consider 24-35 foot boom yagis to me "medium"). If you don't have room to tram this can be an OK way to go.

Corrections/additions welcome of course.

Cheers,

Mark
KI7WX/4

07-Sep-2000 Frank C. Travanty