Index Thread Archive Sep-2000 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Sep-2000Index by Author for Sep-2000Index by Date for Sep-2000   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: raising an antenna
Author: Frank C. Travanty <w9jcc@juno.com>
Date: 07-Sep-2000 09:59:04
Steve,
KI7WX's suggestion of using a pro is a good one if you are not used to
doing this sort of job. Don't know your situation, but the crank up tower
senerio below requires a lot of vigilance as well.

My feet never get higher than about the 3-4 th rung on a step ladder. I
used the following technique for 30 years on a TH6DXX and the last two
years on the C-31XR with a crank up self supporting tower.
1. Pre assemble the antenna on the ground but don't bolt the boom
together. - Determine truss cable strategy - see below.
2. Tilt the tower over and attach the boom sections nearest the mast
first - tilt the tower up, as needed until all the boom sections on one
side of the mast are installed.
3. Tilt the tower up to full vertical and rotate the "half antenna" 180
deg. and tilt the tower down.
4. Repeat step two with the other half of the beam.

As for the truss cable - I use two pieces of cable, a Hygain bracket at
the mast, and TURNBUCKLES close to the boom. that way when the first half
is assembled on the mast, that turn buckle can be adjusted by "eyballing"
a right angle between the boom and mast. Same for the other half.

73,
Frank W9JCC

On Wed, 06 Sep 2000 19:37:19 -0700 STEPHEN SALA
<stephensala@worldnet.att.net> writes:
> How did you tower & beam folks get your beams on top of your towers?
> Need some advise so I can buy a Force 12 biggie and install it soon.
>
> Steve
> K7AWB

07-Sep-2000 Dale L Martin
* 07-Sep-2000 Frank C. Travanty