Index Thread Archive Sep-2000 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Sep-2000Index by Author for Sep-2000Index by Date for Sep-2000   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: K7LXCs comments about 80m Yagi--4-Square
Author: Wil DJ7AA <dj7aa-wil@t-online.de>
Date: 08-Sep-2000 10:45:57
K7LXC@aol.com schrieb:

> In a message dated 09/07/2000 9:59:34 PM Pacific Daylight Time, list@qth.com
> writes:
>
> > From: "ray reed" <ray1965@hotmail.com>
> > To: Force12Talk@qth.com
> > Subject: [Force 12 Talk] Force 12 MAGNUM 2/2
> > Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2000 22:16:57 CDT
> >
> > I would like to hear from anyone who has the Magnum 2/2 or Force 12 80
> meter
> > beam. I would be interested in pro and con in performance and mechanical
> > construction.
>
> As a general rule, the bigger the antenna the more fragile it is and the
> more maintenance it takes. Mechanically the F12 linear loaded beams are
> pretty good. Electrically I've heard some grumblings but don't know of any
> first-hand real electrical problems that were traced to antenna electrical
> parts/design.
>
> As far as performance, they're okay. I have never had any of my customers
> (I've probably installed 12-15 F12 linear loaded antennas) told me they were
> overwhelmed with how well they played. Since you only have two choices - F12
> and M2 and they're both linear loaded - you get what you get. But it IS a lot
> cheaper and easier than a 4-square array!
>
> Cheers, Steve K7LXC
> Tower Tech

I dont agree, that a big 80m yagi is a cheaper way than a 4-square.
A real working 4-square consists of slooping wires you can have for at
last
less than 500 US $..what are the price for a 2el magnum 80m ??

I using wire constructed 4-square since 3 years, and believe me this
antenna works. get more that 315 countrys on 80m. You only need one
suporting tower, but this you also need for the yagi..all other stuff
(wires, cables, switching box etc..) you get much cheaper than the yagi.
You do not neet a rotator..so why you mean, a yagi is cheaper than a
4-square???

problems with a Force 12 Magnum after my experiences

I have now after 4 years of using a Magnum 620/340 (D-Modell for high
winds)
lots of trouble.
If you have your Magnum really have to run, you must install your beam
in
minimum height of 1/4 lambda..this is 20m ore more. you need a tower in
range of several thousand US $. The other problem, mechanical
construction
from the Force 12 Yagis ist not that good.
I have now after 4 years of using a Magnum 620/340 (D-Modell for high
winds)
lots of trouble.
-One linear loading wire from the 40m reflector has brooken.
-the fiberglass arm for holding and insolated the linear laoding wires
burned over on the driven element (had to put little ceramik insulators
in it to fixe this problem)
- Mean problem, the I lost all the rivets on the boom-boom connetion
(factory assembled side) there was no bolt in this connection!!!

The antenna really need some lateral bracing, to reduce the
bending moment to the boom.

So the electrical performance of the antennas are very good, no
question..but if you live in a area that have more winds lik this
little southern California brise, you have to assamble something
additional to protect the antenna.

The front to back of this linear loading system also is not that
good. Compare to my old 2 ele 40m Highgain I only have 5-10 dB
on the Force 12 (3ele) and 20 dB on the 2 ele HighGain.
I know lots of people on the west coast replaced the linear

This are comments from a Force 12 user have 4 years of experiences
and I am not a dealer like K7LXC, who may be like to sale
a product..

73 Wil DJ7AA

* 08-Sep-2000 Wil DJ7AA
This Author (Sep-2000)
  Subject   Date
Force12Talk Digest for 8 Sep 2000 in hour 0:00 08-Sep-2000
* K7LXCs comments about 80m Yagi--4-Square 08-Sep-2000