Index Thread Archive Sep-2000 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Sep-2000Index by Author for Sep-2000Index by Date for Sep-2000   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: Mounting switch boxes to the boom
Author: JOSEPH SZCZUBELEK <k9dmv@hotmail.com>
Date: 11-Sep-2000 16:05:08
Hi Rich,

I put this on the reflector just in case someone else has the same
question:

I thinked we e-mail before on this topic as I was planning on getting the
switch box. Here is the scoop. The switchbox is a large grey
plastic box about the size of a cigar box but a little narrower. Inside
are 2 inductors and one relay. One inductor is for the center of your
coax and the other is for the shield. The inductors (coil of wire)
make the antennae longer thus lowering the antennae SWR. Energizing the
relay shorts out the inductor, makes the antennae shorter, thus
puts you on SSB. The antennae linear loading tuning wires are tuned for SSB
with the relay energized say for freq 7.220. Turn the relay off puts the 2
inductors in line and then spread or compress the inductors to get the
antennae SWR for freq 7.040. That's right - tune antennae for SSB with relay
on, and spread or compress inductors to get on CW frequency with relay off.
Use the coil of wire that has a smaller diameter (supplied) for the hairpin
match on the input to the switchbox. That how it is suppose to work. I
think you will have to trial and error to get everything correct. You would
not build it on the ground and expect it to work on the first try. I have
the box but have not installed it. The mfg supplied black plastic ties. I
don't think this will do it. The aircraft safety wire sounds like the way to
go. My thinking is if you are going to run power then you want the switchbox
for SSB. If you just run 100 watts you can tune out the SWR with a tunner
and do just fine. Let me know if you need more info.

A better way would have been a to supply a bracket similiar to the
reflectors drilled to mount into the boom and holding the switchbox
from the top. The box has a door that can be open to make your adjustments.

Joe - K9DMV

>From: Richard Thorne <rthorne@tcac.net>
>To: JOSEPH SZCZUBELEK <k9dmv@hotmail.com>
>Subject: Re: [Force 12 Talk] Mounting switch boxes to the boom
>Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 12:28:30 -0500
>From rthorne@tcac.net Mon Sep 11 10:31:58 2000
>
>Joe:
>
>How do you like the relay box? I'm fixing to order one for the upcoming
>contest
>season.
>
>As it is now, the antenna is tuned for cw. How do you have to tune the
>stubs
>for the relay box to work? Is the antenna tuned for ssb and the relay
>brings
>the reasonance down to cw or is it visa versa?
>
>I wonder if a second relay box needs to be installed on the reflector? Just
>curious.
>
>Thanks.
>
>JOSEPH SZCZUBELEK wrote:
>
> > I have the Force 12 40 meter relay switch box that mounts to the boom of
>the
> > C4S next to the 40 mtr dipole and gives the ability of switching the 40
>mtr
> > linear loaded dipole from CW to SSB. The rather large grey box is
>secured to
> > the boom with black plastic tie clamps. I can also use electrical tape
> > help secure the box to the boom. It seems that there might be a better
>way
> > of securing this box to the boom. Does anyone have a better solution. My
> > guess is that it is only a matter of time before this part of the
>antennae
> > becomes a problem.
> >
> > Wondering if other owners have installed the box with only the
> > tie clamps.
> >
> > Best,
> >
> > Joe Szczubelek - K9DMV

>--
>73,
>
>Richard Thorne
>ARS N5ZC (ex KA2DSY, N2BHP, WB5M)
>Remote Control Airplanes: AMA# 657062
>http://www.tcac.net/~rthorne/

http://profiles.msn.com.

* 11-Sep-2000 JOSEPH SZCZUBELEK
11-Sep-2000 dick@pobox.com
11-Sep-2000 JOSEPH SZCZUBELEK
This Author (Sep-2000)
  Subject   Date
* Mounting switch boxes to the boom 11-Sep-2000
Mounting switch boxes to the boom 11-Sep-2000