Index Thread Archive Sep-2000 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Sep-2000Index by Author for Sep-2000Index by Date for Sep-2000   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: C3SS newbie question...:)
Author: w4dup@juno.com <w4dup@juno.com>
Date: 25-Sep-2000 23:07:28
I installed the Force12 C4E/D (the extra element on 10 mtrs and 30 mtr
linear dipole rated at 100 mph) so I've been thru the 17/12 mtr thing.
You're going to have a somewhat high swr but an Automatic tuner on your
XCVR should be able to handle it if you play with the length of your
coax. You simply add a length at the XCVR end and try it on all the
bands. I was able to try lengths in increments of about 12" longer than
the last one. The biggest problem is getting an additional length that
satisfies all the bands with the biggest problem making 17 and 12
reasonably happy at the same time. I had random lengths from about 12 ft
down to 3 ft laying around. All you're doing is fooling the transmitter
anyway. Both WARC bands work at least as good as a D3W dipole that I was
using and tests I've read indicate there is some gain, though not much.
The 30 meter element seems to be considerly better than the trapped D3W.
10/15/20 are somewhat improved over the TH6DXX that I used for about 25
years and with no more traps to burn! Not that the TH6DXX was bad about
it but I did burn one during an ice storm.....just HAD to get a UC2 back
when they were rare...hi.
73 es good luck on it. Sandy W4DUP

On Mon, 25 Sep 2000 19:12:01 -0500 thaxton@ptgroup.com writes:
> Hi,
>
> I have just finished putting up my C3SS....finally. Everything
> checks out fine on 10/15/20. However I do have a high swr on
> 17M, 5.1 I attribute this to the fact that I don't have a heck of
> alot
> of clearance from the elements to the roof in some spots, i.e. less
> than 4 ft but greater than 2 ft. so I getting some ground effect in
> this case. I am limited to this height so as to not "notify the
> neighbors" that a ham lives here...:) Is there anything else I
> should
> be checking out or doing to bring the swr down? All the primary
> bands are less than 2:1 so my rig tuner is happy. Any advice
> would be most appreciated.
>
> thanks....
>
> Don.....N0FGK

* 25-Sep-2000 w4dup@juno.com
25-Sep-2000 thaxton@ptgroup.com
This Author (Sep-2000)
  Subject   Date
* C3SS newbie question...:) 25-Sep-2000
Weatherproofing 40 mtr switchbox 25-Sep-2000