Index Thread Archive Oct-2000 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Oct-2000Index by Author for Oct-2000Index by Date for Oct-2000   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: Problems, Problems, Problems...
Author: K9TM <k9tm@buckeye-express.com>
Date: 01-Oct-2000 09:54:22
I have been attempting to put together my Mag520/240. Here is a list of the
nagging problems:

1) The 40m driven could not have been attached (pre-built) at F12. The
milled out
holes in the boom-element plate where not large enough to accomodate
the
u-bolt. They would accomodate the 20m u-bolt. Not even close!

I noticed the reflector holes had been drilled out larger, by the looks
of it with a hand drill.

I drilled them out and have it working.

2) The supplied mast portion of the boom-mast plate holes for the supplied
u-bolts did not
fit (2"). Since it is just Al, I fixed this with a file and it should
be ok.

3) The boom truss goes right thru the linar load wires on the 40m
reflector. The truss
actually rubs on the welded on Al support for the 40m insulator. I am
concerned
about this wearing thru and breaking the boom truss. As well as
tuning problems
this may cause.

4) The instructions say that the linear load wire is stranded. After
searching and not finding
any stranded wire, I came across a package which had solid wire. The
wire was
shipped in about an 8" diameter coil.

The coil when uncoiled really wanted to maintain its coil shape. No
problem materials
change, I understand. As stiff as it was, I was concerned about it
being brittle. The
very first linear load wire I put on (by hand, no tools), when
wrapping the wire back
around the insulator, the wire snapped right off.

So now the big problem is, do I have the correct linear load wire?

What do I do for the broken wire?

Are the other ones prone to this same failure. I don't want this thing
to break while
up in the air.

Does it matter what the material is for this task? Can I use different
material?

How will a different material effect the loading (tuning)?

XXTowers is going to be here on Tues (3-Oct) to erect things, can F12 ship
me replacement wire for the defective wire in time? If not, what do I use
as a substitute that I can obtain locally?

There have been a host of other problems with the order and such. These are
just the major points. I have to say that so far I am less than impressed
and I hope that once these are up in the air, they are more robust and
trouble free than they have been to assemble.

Anyone have any thoughts? I will of course contact F12 first thing Monday
morning on obtaining replace parts and remedies.

:-( Tim K9TM

01-Oct-2000 James W. Jr. Fisher
* 01-Oct-2000 K9TM
This Author (Oct-2000)
  Subject   Date
C31XR and 402CD Spacing 12-Oct-2000
* Problems, Problems, Problems... 01-Oct-2000